Mats Improve to 5-2

Kaitlin Fenn, Staff Writer

Miramonte boosted its overall record to 5-2 when it defeated Acalanes 41-28 at home on Friday, Oct. 11.

The Mats started the first quarter off strong, scoring two touchdowns; one Drew Anderson ‘14 run and one 28-yard pass to wide receiver Dominic Paoletti ‘14.

Soon after, Clayton Stehr ‘16, who made big plays on both sides of the ball for Miramonte, caught an 18-yard pass from Anderson to make the score 21-0.

“Clayton played an awesome game, but that doesn’t surprise me because he works so hard every day and is a smart player,” Rene Clark ‘14 said. “It’s crazy to think that he’s this good and is only a sophomore.”

In the second quarter, the Dons were able to get the ball into the red zone, but fumbled on the 10-yard line and Miramonte capitalized on the turnover to make the score 28-7.

However, at the start of the third quarter, Acalanes put some points on the board on a 61-yard run by Peter Mitchell ‘14 and a pick-six by John Lauth ‘14.

Despite the shift in momentum, Miramonte came back and was able to score two more touchdowns in the fourth and hold on to get the win.

“This was a big win for us because we needed to bounce back after a disappointing performance against Campo. Losing is never acceptable and we wanted to make that point,” Clark said.

Clark finished the game with three touchdowns and 218 yards on the ground. Stehr had one interception for the Mats and three catches for 46 yards.

Miramonte had a bye last week and plays Dougherty Valley this Friday, Oct. 25 at Dougherty Valley.