Top 10 Miramonte Athletes of 2013-2014

Chris Berg, Guest Writer

The 2013-2014 year in Miramonte sports has been jam-packed with achievements. Although there are numerous successful athletes that contributed to their team’s success, Mirador guest writer, Chris Berg, lists 10 that have stood out above the rest. #10: Jack Murphy ‘14 Lacrosse A three-year varsity starter, Murphy, who plays attack, has had three straight 40-goal seasons. Starting when he picked up lacrosse at age 11, Murphy has always been a standout player. Lacrosse does not always get the same publicity as some of the major sports, and that is the way Murphy likes it. “I have never been a person that enjoys the spotlight, I just like to go out there and play my best. I don’t worry about what anyone else thinks,” Murphy said. This year, Murphy is a major reason why the Matadors made the NCS playoffs. We wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Murph, plain and simple,” teammate Coleman Fine ‘16 said. In a game versus Campolindo, Murphy scored three of the team’s five goals in a season-defining 5-4 victory. He is going to continue playing lacrosse at College of Charleston in South Carolina. #9: Joey Goodreault ‘14 Basketball Goodreault has been the poster boy for Miramonte basketball since he accomplished the nearly impossible task of making the varsity team as freshman. The high expectations have only motivated him more to be successful. “He was under incredible scrutiny his entire career at Miramonte. I couldn’t handle the type of pressure he was under,” Jackson Wegener ‘15 said. Goodreault still performed well, averaging 10 points and four assists throughout his career. Goodreault will continue to play basketball at the University of California, Santa Barbara. #8: Jordan Hoover ‘15 Water Polo. Hoover was the catalyst for this year’s Mats water polo team, which made the NCS finals. Hoover, who is from Moraga, chose to attend Miramonte over Campolindo because of its historic water polo team. “Miramonte has one of the best water polo programs in the country, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to join them,” Hoover said. In 2013, he proceeded to have a historic year himself, scoring over 50 goals. Future Division 1 water polo players have only accomplished that feat. Hoover was named to the All-DFAL First Team and All-East Bay First team. He has one more year at Miramonte, and is looking to do some big things: “We lost in the title game this year, which is unacceptable. We will come out harder next year to win it.” #7: Hannah Friel ‘14 Lacrosse  Friel was a team captain and the unquestioned star of a very successful girls lacrosse team. Friel committed to play at UC Davis in the fall, and with that security, could have coasted through the year. However, she has stepped up her game this year.   With over 40 goals, and 75 percent of the draw controls, Friel carried the Lady Mats to the NCS semifinals. She is also is known for being a great teammate, and gives advice to her younger teammates. “Hannah is the heart and soul of our team, on and off the field,” Kady Richardson ‘14 said. #6: Rene Clark ‘14 Football and Basketball  Clark was a key contributor to the success of the football and basketball teams this year. In football, Clark starred on both offense as a running back and defense as a cornerback. He rushed for 1,442 yards and 19 touchdowns on the year in Miramonte’s high-flying offense. In addition, he was a lockdown cornerback that shut down any receiver that went against him. “Ray is so valuable because he provided athleticism on both sides of the ball,” head coach Jack Schram said. Clark was also a defensive standout for the basketball team, and was always guarding the opponent’s best player. While he won’t be continuing his basketball career, Clark will be playing football at University of San Diego. #5: Gabe Ostler ‘14 Swimming Ostler has had a decorated swimming career at Miramonte. In addition to being on varsity swimming all four years, he has placed highly in the NCS finals every year. In the recent DFAL championships, Ostler took first in the 50 and 100 freestyle, his specialties. Furthermore, he was part of the All-American 200 Medley Relay in 2013 and 2014. Ostler has committed to Notre Dame to continue his swimming career. “The opportunity to swim for the Irish is phenomenal. I’m very excited to work with Coaches Welsh and Tallman. The academics are fantastic. The team is great. Everything is just incredible,” Ostler said. #4: Will Fuller ‘14 Football and Rugby Fuller was the leading receiver for the NCS Champion Miramonte Football team. He had over 1000 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns in the 2013 season. Whenever the team needed a big play in a crucial situation, Fuller was there to perform: “Our team relied on Will whenever the offense wasn’t working, and we needed an individual play,” Greg Pietrykowski ‘15 said. Fuller is also a standout rugby player, leading the Lamorinda Rugby U19 team to many tournament championships. Earlier in the year, he accepted an offer to play football at the University of San Diego, but a month later, he received an offer to play rugby at UC Berkeley. After much contemplating, he decided to attend Cal next year. “It wasn’t an easy decision at all, but I feel like I made the right one,” Fuller said. #3: Sabrina Ionescu ‘16 Basketball Ionescu was a major contributor to the Miramonte Girls Basketball team the minute she stepped on the court as a freshman. She made the USA Girls U16 team last summer that won a gold medal at the FIBA World Championship, an experience that took her to the next level. “Being able to play with and against the best players in the world really helped me step up my game and has definitely benefitted me this year,” Ionescu said. She average 17.8 points per game, led the team in assists and steals, and helped the team win an NCS Championship. #2: Megan Reid ‘14- Soccer and Basketball There are not many high school athletes who can say they started on two league championship teams in the same season, but Reid can. Reid helped the powerful Matadors girls soccer and basketball teams to Diablo Foothill Athletic League titles and NCS playoff appearances this winter. She scored a team-high 16 goals in just 10 soccer appearances, was a leader on the girls basketball team, and wowed observers in both sports with her leadership, versatility, and drive. “She is just a unique kid,” girls basketball coach Kelly Sopak said. To be dominant at two sports in the same season is nothing short of special. One time, she had a soccer game at 5:30, scored two goals in a half, and then ran down to the basketball court for the second half of a game. #1: Drew Anderson ‘14 Football, Basketball, and Baseball Anderson is the best athlete Miramonte has to offer. He was the leader of an outstanding Miramonte football team’s run to the NCS Championship. During the playoff run, Anderson threw the ball for over 1000 yards and 15 touchdowns in three games. His favorite memory is throwing the game winning touchdown to his brother Ryan in the championship game. “Drew is the best player I have ever coached, hands down,” coach Jack Schram said. His football achievements alone would get him into the top 10 athletes, but he then went on to make All-League First Team and All-East Bay First Team in basketball.  He was a crucial player for the basketball team during their run to the CIF semifinals. Anderson had not played baseball for five years when he joined the team as senior, but still hit for over .400  during the season. Overall, there haven’t been many better athletes at Miramonte than Drew Anderson.