Mats Campo Rivalry

Mats Campo Rivalry

Amy Larsen, Staff Writer

BEAT CAMPO. The one and only Miramonte versus Campolindo football game is this Friday, Oct. 31. Postpone your trick-or-treating and other spooky plans until the end of the annual game.

This game is not your average high school football game. First of all, its versus CAMPOLINDO. Second of all, it’s HALLOWEEN. Black out for Miramonte. All you need is your Beat Campo t-shirt, your school spirit, and a lot of enthusiasm.

The rivalry Miramonte has going on isn’t any normal rivalry. It’s more personal and brings out the most in these two schools.

Although most can predict the outcome of these games beforehand, this extra competition fuels the players, and makes the game more interesting to watch as well as participate in. The results of these games aren’t always as expected, so be prepared for an intense game between the two teams.

“It’s a fun opportunity to show off our spirit,” sophomore Megan Miller said about the rivalry. “It helps bring out a more competitive side to the games.”

Beat Campo. Cage the Cougs. Stomp the Mats. Cougs don’t lose. The sayings could go on for ages but they all have one theme: the Miramonte-Campolindo rivalry. From the pool to the field, the rivalry of these two small towns go a long way. But how far?

Social-networking feeds fill up when a big game comes near. However bitter the comments can get, though, outside of the realm of sports, rivals are still friends.

Just recently, the Mira-Campo girls water polo team engaged in a quibble over what the outcome would be of the upcoming game. A spectator even brought a broom to the game so they could “sweep the Mats.” Personal or just for the fun of it?

“I’m friends with people from Miramonte, but not when I’m at games,” Kiera O’Brien, a sophomore from Campolindo, declares while rooting for her school at the Mira-Campo water polo game.

Not all sports have this battle for school pride, but some have an extra flare, especially sports like water polo, football, volleyball, and basketball. Although not all of these teams are evenly matched with the other school, there are still big turnouts on  game day, and booming cheers from the stands.

The results of these games aren’t always as suspected. For example, this year’s Miramonte’s men’s varsity water polo team lost to Campolindo’s team. Miramonte went into the game with high hopes, but after bringing it up to a tie at third quarter, the Mats lost 11-8. After their winning streak ended last year, it was a another big defeat.

On the other hand, last year’s Miramonte’s men’s basketball pulled out a surprising win against Campo 68-67.

“It feels good to beat people you know, and there has been a long history of Campo-Mira rivalry,” junior Alex Zamanian, on the varsity water-polo team, said about the competition. “It’s more personal.”

Overall, this rivalry between green and red, Matadors and Cougars, isn’t really about the sport itself, or the people on the team, but rather a sense of school pride and some healthy competition.