2015 College Basketball Gets Ranked

2015 College Basketball Gets Ranked

ClaysDaze

Jacob Thomas, Staff Writer

1. Kentucky (15-0)

Kentucky came into this new college basketball season with high expectations, and it is fulfilling them. The undefeated Wildcats are led by brothers Aaron and Andrew Harrison who both average about 11 points per game.

2. Virginia (15-0)

Coming into this season Virginia was not thought very highly of. As of now, Virginia is the second best defensive team in the country (trailing Kentucky), and it shows by having an undefeated record. This hard nosed team is making a name for themselves on the defensive end.

3. Duke (14-1)

Every season, Duke is always at the top in terms of recruiting. This year the Blue Devils followed up on their tradition by bringing in the number one recruiting class again. Center Jahlil Okafor is projected to be the number one pick in this year’s NBA draft and he is averaging 19 points and 10 rebounds per game.

4. Gonzaga (16-1)

Led by senior PG Kevin Pangos, the Zags are off to an amazing start. They have only lost one game and that was to another highly ranked team, Arizona, in overtime. In its conference it is the frontrunner and the Zags are planning to run all the way for another WCC title.

5. Villanova (15-1)

Villanova is poised to have a great season after a couple years of rebuilding. Senior guard Darrun Hilliard is leading the way for them with 16 points per game. Villanova is known for its short runs into the post-season; this year could be different.

6. Louisville (14-2)

Louisville is a guard heavy team with a monster down low in sophomore G Terry Rozier who is leading the team in scoring with 17 points per game. Junior F Montrezl Harrell is second in line and Harrell is the heart of the team. Last year, Harrell had an amazing season, and this year he is looking to be Player of the Year. Louisville has a huge game against Duke on January 17th that will determine their future.

7. Wisconsin (15-2)

Another defensively focused team is Wisconsin. They are off to a rougher start than what they would have liked, but they have rebounded well and won eight of their last nine. They are led by big man Frank Kaminsky who leads the team in points, rebounds, and assists.

8. Arizona (14-2)

U of A is a team that does everything well. They have four guys that average double figures in points. Freshman Stanley Johnson was a top five recruit last season and he is certainly living up to that accomplishment by leading the team in points and rebounds.

9.Utah (13-2)

Utah is the most efficient team in the nation. The Utes have a 50% field goal percentage and only allow 55 points per game. Guard Delon Wright has taken a star role this season and has led them to be one of the top teams.

10. Maryland (15-2)

Rebounding has been a staple for the Maryland Terrapins as they grab around 28 per game. They are another team that has a great scoring burst. Three guys on the team average 15 or more points: guard Melo Trimble, forward/guard Jake Layman, and forward Dez Wells. This team is one of the upcoming powers in the Big Ten.

11. Notre Dame (15-2)

Notre Dame is one of the best teams in the country, stats wise. In the nation they rank first in field goal percentage at 54 percent, and rank twelfth in the nation in scoring. The Fighting Irish could easily move in to being a top five team this year led by senior forward Jerian Grant with 16 points per game.

12. Kansas (13-2)

Kansas is always a top ten team in the nation, but this year will be different. Kansas does have senior Perry Ellis who carries most of the load for them and Kansas has a well balanced scoring squad with six guys scoring more than eight points per game. The Jayhawks have the talent to make it far this season, but they have to work as a team to achieve success.

13. Wichita State (14-2)

The Wichita State Shockers have a very young team. All five of their starters from last year are returning, like their breakout shooting guard Ron Baker who is back for his junior year and is better than ever. He is averaging 18 points and 5 assists as a junior and is the heart of this team. This year Wichita State could make a reliable run in the tournament.

14. West Virginia (14-2)

The Mountaineers of West Virginia are another team that is well balanced. They lead the country in steals and like to get out on the fastbreak. They are a fairly young team with only three seniors. West Virginia is led by their 6-1 guard Juwan Staten with about 16 points per game.

15. Virginia Commonwealth (13-3)

The Virginia Commonwealth Rams are led by senior G Treveon Graham. Graham leads the team in points, rebounds, and assists. Overall however, they are very well balanced offensively.

16. Iowa State (12-2)

Iowa State is the best passing team in the nation, with 19 assists per game. The Cyclones have made a name for themselves by being the most unselfish ball club. They have six players that average more than 10 points.

17. Seton Hall (13-3)

The Cinderella story of this year goes to Seton Hall as they have beaten three top 25 teams. Junior Sterling Gibbs leads this team, and is huge in crunch-time. The Pirates have had a great run in the regular season but probably will not go far in the post-season.

18. Arkansas (13-2)

Every season the Arkansas Razorbacks are known for their intense defense. This year they are following same successful recipe. The Razorbacks  have also adopted a more offensive game, they are top ten in points and steals.

19. North Carolina (12-4)

North Carolina is another team that is making a name for themselves. The Tar Heels are fourth in rebounding and fifth in assists in the country. This year will be another where they continue their successful legacy.

20. Northern Iowa (14-2)

Northern Iowa has made a statement this year and is aiming to take the Missouri Valley Conference title from Wichita State. Northern Iowa is not a super talented team; however, they are making up for it on the offensive end by making 49 percent of their shots.