Miramonte vs. Campolindo Boys Basketball Preview

Chris Berg, Staff Writer

It’s hard to argue that any high school rivalry has been more intense and exciting than the one between Miramonte vs. Campolindo boys basketball. For each game, the student sections from the neighboring schools are completely packed and on their feet for the entirety of the game. In addition, the games themselves have been thrilling, with each school winning nail biter games. Here is a brief rundown Miramonte’s exciting win over Campolindo from last year:

Feb 1, 2014-The Matadome

This was a game for the ages. The heavily favored Cougars could not have started the game better, jumping out to a 23-6 lead at the end of the first quarter. The Campolindo students were chanting like they had already won the game. However, the Mats never gave up. Down by 18 points at halftime, Miramonte came storming out of the locker room and cut the Cougar lead down to 8 by the end of the third quarter. In a thrilling fourth quarter, the Mats came all the way back to make it a one point game with 20 seconds left in the game. After a missed Campolindo free throw, Drew Anderson ‘14 made the game winning layup with two seconds left to give him 34 points, but more importantly, give the Mats a 69-68 victory. Immediately after the final buzzer sounded, the Miramonte students went into a frenzy and poured out onto the court to celebrate with the players. People could not help but notice the stunned looks on the faces of the Campolindo students. There was not a better time to be a Mat.

This Saturday Miramonte once again matches up against their archrival at 7 p.m. Saturday night at Campolindo. The Cougars boast a 15-2 record very strong team. However, the Mats are coming off their best win of the season over a talented Dublin team, and appear to be playing their best basketball going into the game. With the history of this rivalry, anything is possible.

Credit to @jwegener_25_ for the video