Mats Baseball Preview

Mats Baseball Preview

Andrew Deaver, Staff Writer

0702-04902The Miramonte Baseball team claimed its first season win against Albany High School last Friday in a 6-4 come from behind win. The Mats went down early 0-2 in the first inning but slowly battled back by tallying a run in the 4th inning and then gaining the lead in the 6th.

The Mats were up 3-2 going into the bottom of the 6th inning when Albany started a rally and reclaimed the lead in a two-run inning to put the Cougars up 4-3. The clutch hitting for the Mats came alive in the top of the 7th inning. With one out and no runners on, James Vaccaro ‘16 reached first on a walk and later advanced to second on a single by Andrew Deaver ‘16.

The bases were then loaded after Connor Jackson ‘15 reached first on an infield single. The Mats clutch hitting continued with a big hit by Will McConnell ‘16 that brought in two runs. They picked up another insurance run on a perfectly executed suicide squeeze by Jack Kovalik ‘16 to score McConnell and put the Matadors up 6-4. Jackson closed the bottom of the 7th inning to get the win.

The Mats are already battling with adversity as star starting pitcher Vaccaro is unable to throw for at least a month with a slightly torn lat. However, Vaccaro’s hot bat is still available as well as his agility on the basepaths. The Mats will look to their pitching staff to step up for these upcoming games.

The team will take on San Marin this Thursday, Feb. 27 at San Marin.