Miramonte Girls Lacrosse Takes NCS Crown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andrew Johnston, Part-time Staff Writer

The Miramonte girls lacrosse team took on University High School at Kezar Stadium Thursday night in the North Coast Section Division II Women’s Lacrosse Championship. The 12-7 Matadors and fourth seed team challenged the 15-7 Red Devils and third seed standing opponent. The Mats started strong, and were on the board early with a goal scored in the first minute by Katie Hawkins ‘17, but by halftime the Red Devils closed the deficit to one at 8-7.

Senior Caroline Tague scored seven goals and recorded three assists to help lead Miramonte to victory. Midfielder Lauren Ramirez ‘16 had a few words after the game: “This is an absolutely amazing feeling,” Ramirez said. “I’m so proud of my team. We had to battle through this entire season to get to this point and I think there’s no better way to end the season with a NCS win.”

Although the Red Devils beat Acalanes by one goal, the Miramonte girls had confidence they could stack up against any team they faced.

Madison Geary ‘15 put the Matadors up 10-7 in the fourth quarter from a pass by teammate Lucy Stenovec ‘17. Geary also scored an unassisted shot with five minutes left. After Tague scored her final goal with 4:53 to go, the Matadors led 13-9. Miramonte was able to keep the ball away from the Red Devils, whose student section went silent in the end of the game.