Miramonte Takes Down St. Mary’s for Second Win of 2015

Miramonte Takes Down St. Mary's for Second Win of 2015

Dan Ting

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

Miramonte football has gotten off to a hot start in the 2015 season: the Matadors’ offense exploded in the first two games, racking up a total of 110 points. With their second win in a row Friday night against Saint Mary’s College High School (58-41), the Matadors have crossed off two teams in their “Revenge Tour” of 2015. On Friday night Miramonte’s offense looked unstoppable, scoring on almost every possession. The Matador’s dynamic offense ratcheted 550 yards of total offense and eight touchdowns.

A key contributor to the hot offense was running back Clayton Stehr ’16. Last week Stehr didn’t play due to a concussion he suffered in practice two days before facing off against Pinole Valley. However, he didn’t miss a beat in Friday night’s game. Stehr rushed for an astonishing 272 yards on 25 attempts and 6 touchdowns. Stehr’s combination of power and speed took a grueling toll on the Saint Mary’s defense. In open space, smaller Saint Mary’s defensive backs were unable to take down Stehr. “Clayton is a one-of-a-kind athlete,” said quarterback Tim Tague ’17.

The Matador’s passing game was firing on all cylinders all night long. Tague went 15-22 for 212 yards and a touchdown, connecting with wide receiver Ryan Anderson for a 40-yard touchdown early in the third quarter to put the Matadors up 14 points.

“With Clayton back, it really opens up the passing game because they have to protect for a huge running back,” Tague said. With a great running game and passing game it’s going to be immensely difficult for teams to stop the Matadors’ offense this season. If teams stack the box to stop the run, Tague’s arm will tear the defense apart and if they drop too many in coverage, Stehr will have many more dominating performances to come.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Matadors held their own and refused to bend on key third- and fourth- downs stops. Without middle linebacker Mcclain Marks ’16, the Matadors were lead by Sam Walker ’18 in the middle of the defense. In the secondary, two-way star Ryan Anderson grabbed a leaping interception to stall one of Saint Mary’s key drives in the first half. Anderson made the switch from safety to corner this season and looks smooth so far.

On Sept. 11, the Matadors travel to Windsor to take on the Jaguars. The Jaguars are another team on Miramonte’s revenge tour of 2015, having handed the Mats a home loss 49-27 last year. This game should prove to be a great battle, as both teams enter the ring with undefeated records, and sit side-by-side in the NCS Division II standings with Windsor sitting at three and Miramonte at four.