Miramonte Battles Campolindo for DFAL Title

Dan Ting

Senior Clayton Stehr slices through the Acalanes defense on Oct 23. Miramonte won 34-19, with Stehr rushing 162 yards.

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

There is no game like the Miramonte Campolindo Varsity football game. Kids in the Orinda-Moraga area wait their whole life to play in this highly anticipated matchup. Many of the players grew up together playing flag football, and now will line up across from each other on Friday night. This is a do-or-die game for both teams, as the winner of this game will win the Diablo Foothill Athletic League.

Three players to watch (Miramonte)

1. Sophomore MLB Sam Walker has burst on the scene in the 2015 season. Walker leads the DFAL with 74 tackles on the season. Walker has transitioned smoothly from playing freshman football just a year ago to the varsity level. Walker will play a pivotal role in stopping the Campolindo run game. The talented MLB will be matched up against a strong Campolindo offensive line. If the Matadors force the Cougars to pass on 2nd and 3rd down, Miramonte will be in good position.
  2. This game is nothing new to RB/OLB Clayton Stehr ’16. This will be Stehr’s third Miramonte-Campo varsity football game. To date, Stehr has gotten into the end zone 21 times and has rushed for 735 yards. Key to Stehr’s success this game will be the offensive line’s continuing control of the battle upfront. On defense Stehr plays a big role in stopping the run and defending the pass. Look forward to Stehr having many tackles and breaking up pass routes.
  3. WR/CB Ryan Anderson ’16 has the ability to change ball games with a blink of an eye. This will also be Anderson’s third Miramonte-Campo varsity football game. Look forward to Anderson having lots of receiving yards on Friday night. Anderson is at his best after he catches the ball, making defensive backs miss in open space. On defense Anderson will take on the challenge to guard WR Max Flower, who leads the Cougars in receiving yards with 474 yards. However, Anderson also leads his team in interceptions with four. Look forward to this matchup to be a good one as two playmakers will both try to serve as game-changers for their teams.