Miramonte Dominates Redwood to Advance in NCS

Behind a strong offensive-live, RB Clayton Stehr '16 rushed for 190 yards and 4 TDs.

D. Ting

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

As the clock hit double zero, Miramonte’s defensive coordinator Prince Smalls literally jumped for joy, after a 41-0 win against Redwood High School. Smalls finally saw his defense shut a team out, something that he has strived for all year. The Matadors dominated the Redwood Giants on both sides of the ball, as the game soon became out of reach at half.

RB Clayton Stehr ’16 found the endzone early and often. Stehr rushed for four first-half touchdowns behind a dominant Miramonte offensive line, as the Mats jumped out to a 28-0 lead in the first quarter. Stehr also added 190 yards on the ground on just 10 carries. The Miramonte offensive line literally had a huge task in front of them, having to block 6-ft-7in, 300-lb DT Jacob Curhan. The offensive line did a great job working as a unit to block him.

Since the Miramonte run game clicked so well, the Matadors’ passing game didn’t have to put up crazy numbers, but Tim Tague ’17 still passed for 237 yards and a touchdown. With big playmaker Sutter Lindberg ’16 sidelined for the rest of the reason, wide receivers Nick Foster ’17 and Ryan Anderson ’16 stepped up to the plate, combining for 107 yards.

On the defensive side of the ball the Matadors caused three interceptions. Cannon Armistead ’16, Nick Foster ’17 and Ethan Fischler ’18 all intercepted the Redwood QB. Overall the Matadors disrupted the Redwood offense and rattled the Redwood QB.

On Friday night the Matadors will take on the Casa Grande Gauchos at home. The Gauchos are the last team on the Matadors’ Revenge Tour of 2015. The Matadors have played Casa Grande the last two years in the NCS playoffs: Two years ago Miramonte defeated Casa Grande in the NCS championship but the Gauchos got the better of Miramonte in last year’s meeting, sending the Mats home with a 49-6 defeat. This year the second-seeded Matadors look for it to be a different story.