Women’s Varsity Water Polo Team Ends 17-year NCS Drought

Beating+Campolindo+by+a+score+of+9-4%2C+Miramonte%27s+women%27s+varsity+water+polo+team+captured+its+first+NCS+title+in+17+years+on+Nov.+14.+Top+scorers+included+senior+Hailey+Eberle%2C+who+hoists+the+trophy.+

Claire Manrique

Beating Campolindo by a score of 9-4, Miramonte's women's varsity water polo team captured its first NCS title in 17 years on Nov. 14. Top scorers included senior Hailey Eberle, who hoists the trophy.

Amanda DeVecchi, Staff Writer

For the first time in 17 years, the women’s varsity water polo team captured an NCS title. Last Saturday, Nov. 14, the Lady Mats (22-5) secured their third win over rival school Campolindo, finishing the game with a score of 9-4. The final game was held at Steve Heaston Aquatic Center at Acalanes High.

The Matadors held a secure 4-1 lead over the Cougars at the end of the first quarter. Scorers included Skylar Savar ’18, Katrina Drake ’18 and Hailey Eberle ’16. At halftime the Matadors held an encouraging 6-2 lead over Campolindo.

With aggressive offense came alert defense. Defense was a constant focus for the Matadors throughout the season. Paige Miller ’16 was a key defensive player as a goalie, with more than 10 saves over the course of the game, including a 5-meter block to end the game. While the rest of the defense manipulated Campolindo’s strong players, the Matadors were successful in drawing some crucial fouls. “We had to shut Katie Klein, Olivia Price and Kari Jensen down in order to hold our win,” sophomore Carson Broad said. They were able to successfully shut these players down and continue with their style of play. The Matadors were aggressive throughout the entirety of the game, and the sophomores were able to contribute in any form they could.

This year’s season for the Matadors was special, and beating Campolindo was the best way to finish: “We were really excited as a team—we hadn’t won NCS in 17 years and whenever you beat Campo it’s really fun,” Broad said.  

“The captains this year were great. They kept the team motivated and focused on our goal [beating Campolindo],” Drake said. Her teammate Broad felt similarly: “The captains were all really nice and they brought our team together.”