Miramonte Soccer Season Gets Underway

M. Konstantino

Seniors Coleman Fine (2) and Clark Jordan (6) look to score against Dougherty Valley.

Will Richardson, Staff Writer

The Miramonte men’s soccer team begins its season this Wednesday with NCS honors in sight. After an up-and-down season last year, the players have revamped and are now ready to make a fresh run both in the DFAL and in the section. “We feel we have a really strong team this time around, and over the course of this season I think our quality will really show,” Coleman Fine ’16 said.

The Mats begin the season with a tough slate of games, with away matchups at Ygnacio Valley and De Anza. The latter match will be especially important to Miramonte, as De Anza knocked the Mats out of the NCS playoffs last year. “We have a great opportunity to prove ourselves in the early weeks of the season,” captain Garrett Johnson ’16 said. “If we can get good results at Ygnacio and De Anza, morale will definitely be high heading into league play.”

Miramonte’s difficult opening schedule culminates in a Dec. 11 tilt against reigning DFAL champions Campolindo in the first league game of the season. And while the Cougars have enjoyed the better of past contests, the Mats are confident that they will be in the mix at the top of the league come the end of the year. Miramonte is led by a strong senior core, with Johnson, Fine, and team captain Joseph Wang all figuring to be important players this season.

Additionally, the Mats will receive a boost from across the pond, as Czech exchange student Karel Balogh ’16 will add some firepower to an already prolific group of goalscorers. “Karel will certainly be one of our key players, but we are confident that we will be able to spread the love around and get plenty of players in on the goals,” Daniel Konstantino ’17 added.