Mats Football Playoff Run Ends in Semifinal

Offensive Lineman Carson Lowe looks to block.

D. Ting

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

As the final seconds ticked away from the clock the reality that it would be the last high school football game for all the seniors started to settle in. The Miramonte Matadors fell to the Concord Minutemen 60-32 in the semifinals of the Division II NCS playoffs, putting a bounce-back 11-season win to an end.

The Matadors had a tough night on the defensive side of the ball. They failed to stop running back Harold Tidwell, who rushed for 236 yards and three touchdowns. The Minutemen fed it to Tidwell all night and didn’t have to pass the ball very often. The Matadors secondary did a great job limiting QB Nick Nunez to only 44 passing yards and also forced an interception.

The offense played a sound first half, putting up 20 points. However, all night Saturday Nov. 28 the Matadors were too one-dimensional. With RB Clayton Stehr ’16 relegated to a limited workload due to an ankle and knee injury, the Matadors had a tough time running the ball.

In perspective, the Matadors had a great bounce back season, improving last year’s 3-8 record to 11-2. Before the season if someone were to say Miramonte would be the second seed in the NCS playoffs they would be laughed at. “Of course I wish we won NCS, but I’m still proud of how we did. I’m going to miss all the seniors next year. I think we will have another strong group of guys, and another great season,” QB Tim Tague ’17 said.