Miramonte Girls Take on Club Soccer

Photo: Haley Justus

Brigid Berndt, Staff Writer

This year, top Miramonte Girls soccer players are deciding to play club instead of high school this winter season.

Last year, the Miramonte women’s soccer team took the Division III NCS title. They went into the tournament ranked fifth and came out on top. They beat rivals, Campolindo and Acalanes.

Because only two seniors graduated last year (Maritza Grillo and Maddie Geary), the legacy was thought to continue in almost the same fashion. However, some key players have decided to not play for Miramonte and instead, play club during the winter season.

“The benefits of playing club are that the level is often higher so you are able to become fitter and it’s easier to improve your game, you don’t have two games a week with practices in between so it’s easier on your body and you have a lower risk of injury,” Kati Tuemmler ’17 said. “It’s less of a time commitment because practices are generally closer to home than, say, an away game at Alhambra on a school night.”

Other varsity players that will not be returning due to club are: Emma Nushi ’17, Rosie Cruz ’17 and Cecilia Gee ’16.

Two seniors at Miramonte have already committed to college. Gee has verbally committed to Stanford University and Gina Crosetti ’16 has verbally committed to The University of Kentucky.

Other girls soccer players in the AUHSD schools district are also following this trend. Girls from Acalanes and Campolindo along with others that are playing in the same club will not be playing in the high school season. Acalanes MVP of the league Caroline Clark ’17 will also be sitting the high school season out.  

“I’m sure they won’t be very negatively affected, they might have to shift around a couple of positions but all the girls on varsity this year are extremely talented and adaptable and I’m confident they can step up and get us that NCS championship again this year!” Tuemmler said.