Miramonte Boys Basketball Splits Rivalry Series

Miramonte fans were out in full force when the Mats travelled to Campolindo in their second league game of the year. After a tough fight, Miramonte fell to the Cougars 65-55.

H. Justus

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

As senior co-captain and guard Ryan Anderson slammed a dunk home in the second half of their matchup against Campolindo, the Mats erupted. It seemed as if Miramonte had grabbed the momentum. But the Cougars answered with a run of their own and never looked back. Winning the game 65-55 on Jan. 8, Campolindo maintained the 10-4 point lead that they grabbed in the first half. Senior Eddy Ionescu and junior Charlie Hocking combined for 50 points, as the Mats moved to 11-5 on the season.

The co-captain and guard feels confident in his team going forward: “We’ve played way better this season and I think they caught us on an off night,” Anderson said. “We will shoot a lot better at home and hopefully get the win in our own gym.”         

The loss to Campolindo came after the Mats defeated Acalanes 77-41 on Jan. 6 in their first league game of the year. Miramonte’s tenacious defense allowed them to pull away from Acalanes early, as the Matadors held the Dons to only four points in the first quarter. “I thought our defense really fueled our offense, and we never looked back,” said sophomore forward Enzo Jiannalone. Ionescu, co-captain and guard, led all scorers with 23 points.

Assistant coach Steven Dyer was optimistic after the win: “It was a good way to start our league. Our league is tough, so we don’t take any wins for granted.”

Tonight, Miramonte takes on Alhambra in Martinez in its third league game of the year. The Bulldogs come into the game 6-8 on the season.