Boys Basketball Notches Two League Wins, Moves to Second Place in DFAL

Gint Federas

Miramonte's Eddie Ionescu propels himself past Acalanes' Aaron Hill towards the hoop. Ionescu led the Mats in scoring, tallying 32 points on the night. The Mats eventually held off a late Acalanes run to emerge with a 73-64 victory.

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

As sophomore guard Ethan Fischler pulled up from the top of the key and sank a three, it sparked a pivotal run for Miramonte, eventually leading to a 76-69 victory over the Las Lomas Knights. The shot led to two other threes, one by senior forward Eddy Ionescu and the other by sophomore guard Nikhil Shastri. Coming out of the locker room the Matadors came out hot, pouring in 24 third-quarter points. On the defensive side, the Matadors had a tall task in handling sophomore guard Robert Prince. On the night Prince poured in 35 points; however, it wasn’t enough to overcome the Matadors.

The following Friday, the Matadors took on crosstown rival Acalanes. Led by Ionescu’s 32 points, the Matadors took down the Dons 73-64. Ionescu definitely had the hot hand, showcasing his versatile game scoring inside and out. “My teammates found me and put me in the right position,” Ionescu said of his performance.         

He even sunk a pivotal buzzer beater beyond halfcourt as the clock was winding down. “When I mess around at practice I shoot those shots. It looked good when it left my hand,” Ionescu said.

The Mats take on rival Campolindo tonight in a key DFAL matchup, as Miramonte looks to avenge last month’s loss to Campo.