Girls Basketball Looks Forward to Dominate NCS

Bev Sopak

The Lady Mats pose after a win against Las Lomas to solidify their perfect league run. The Lady Mats move on to 12-0 in league and prepare for a historic NCS run.

Jacob Thomas, Staff Writer

As the second unit stepped on the floor with two minutes left, its players gazed up to the scoreboard to witness a season-high 63-point victory. The Lady Mats had the hot hand all night.

Taking advantage of the weak inside presence from the Las Lomas Knights were senior F Uriah Howard, and sophomore F Jordan Bryant who ended up with a combined 31 points. Instead of relying on a dominant effort from senior G Sabrina Ionescu and senior G Keana De Los Santos, the Mats witnessed a great all-round scoring effort.

“It was definitely good to get more of a rest against Las Lomas. We had to play Pinewood the next day, who is a much better team,” said Ionescu.

This game stood out as the last league game for Miramonte. This game also marked the last time the outstanding senior class of Ionescu, Howard, De Los Santos and Jessie Wilson suited up together in league.

“There was a lot of emotion out there for sure. The last game in league is always emotional because you’ve been playing these teams for so many years,” said Wilson.

Next up was Pinewood High out of Los Altos Hills. This game proved to be the best competition that the Lady Mats have had since January. Pinewood was able to stay with Miramonte in the first half thanks to its sharp shooting ability. However, in the third quarter the Lady Mats proved to be too much for Pinewood. It was Ionescu and De Los Santos again that led Miramonte with 43 combined points. This matchup proved to be a preview of what competition in state will be like.The final score was 73-57 in Miramontes’ favor. The win on Saturday Feb. 20 marked the third win against Pinewood in the past two years.

NCS is the next obstacle that stands in the way of the Lady Mats’ perfection. They will open up against Encinal High tonight at 8 p.m. Encinal, who is coming off a big win against Moreau Catholic, will be excited to see where they stand with the nation’s best.