Miramonte Advances to NCS Semifinals After Narrowly Defeating San Marin

Senior+Eddy+Ionescu+had+a+team+high+17+points+on+the+night.+He+has+lead+the+Matadors+in+scoring+this+whole+year.+He+will+be+a+key+component+if+the+Mats+have+any+chance+at+upsetting+Albany.++

Eddy Ionescu Twitter

Senior Eddy Ionescu had a team high 17 points on the night. He has lead the Matadors in scoring this whole year. He will be a key component if the Mats have any chance at upsetting Albany.

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

As San Marin’s senior guard Calvin Geraci stepped to the line, Miramonte’s Sixth Man erupted, trying to distract the shooter. The loud gym definitely had an effect on the pivotal free throws that could have tied the game in the last minute. But the Matadors took charge, sinking three of their last four free throws to close out the game and hanging on for a 62-58 win. On the last possession the Mustangs had a chance to tie it with a three. Junior guard Jimmy Ricksen had other plans, though, intercepting a pass to seal the game.

Overall, Miramonte’s scoring was spread out. Junior Charlie Hocking, senior Eddy Ionascu and senior Ryan Anderson all scored in double digits. The Mustangs tried to pack the paint to limit Miramonte’s inside scoring; however, the Matadors made them pay by hitting their outside shots.

Tonight, Miramonte will travel to Albany to take on the Cougars. Although the Cougars were not on Miramonte’s regular season schedule, this won’t be the first time these two teams clash as they played each other twice in the summer. “They are a scrappy team. We are going to have to match their intensity in order to win,” said sophomore guard Nikhil Shastri.