Miramonte Boys Soccer Caps Off Roller Coaster Season

Miki Konstantino

The team walks off victorious after a key victory over Alhambra. Miramonte triumphed over the Bulldogs, 2-1. This was one of their 4 wins in league this year, and helped them gain a spot in the NCS Championship Playoffs.

Will Richardson, Staff Writer

As the final whistle blew and the teams shook hands, senior Coleman Fine took a moment to appreciate his surroundings, as he would soon be walking off a high school soccer field for the final time.

“I was proud to play for Miramonte soccer for 4 years. I made some memories I will never forget, and had some awesome experiences,” Fine says.

The Miramonte men’s soccer team experienced a tough loss on Feb. 20th, falling 3-0 to Marin Academy which ended their season. It was a roller coaster ride for the Matadors, who finished with a record of 7 wins, 8 losses, and 4 draws.

“We had some great wins, especially over De Anza and Acalanes early in the season,” junior Defender Will Stenzel said. “It was also great to have won 4-0 in the playoffs.”

The 4-0 victory Stenzel references was a resounding victory over Cardinal Newman in the first round of the NCS playoffs, where Miramonte put together a brilliant performance in the heavy rain.

“It was probably one of our best performances of the year,” freshman Conor Roemer said of the trouncing. “It was great because of how we stayed strong and got goals at good times in the game,”

“If we can play like that and reach a level of consistency we can play at a high level for the next couple of years and do well in the league.” he adds.

This year’s league competition was a tough one, as Dublin went undefeated, with the free-scoring Gaels putting 48 goals over 12 games. Campolindo, Las Lomas, and Acalanes were all strong as well, with the Mats finishing in 5th place in DFAL, winning 4, losing 6, and drawing 2.

“There were a lot of really good teams in our league,” said junior Ben Hodder. “Top to bottom it was a good year for the DFAL, and there was not a single easy game for us. Every game this year was a fight, and it felt great when we came out on top.”

The Mats scored 24 goals this season, with sophomore Ross Gruen, senior Joseph Wang, and senior Karel Balogh scoring over half of those. Wang also led the team in assists with four.