Lady Mats Basketball Dominate Bishop O’Dowd En Route to Third Straight NCS Title

Bev Sopak

The Lady Mats celebrate their blow-out NCS championship victory. The Matadors ran away from a strong Bishop O'Dowd team, on their way to a 82-67 win. The Lady Mats capped off a perfect season, with every single one of their victories by double digits.

Jacob Thomas, Staff Writer

As the fans from both Miramonte and Bishop O’Dowd filed into McKeon Pavilion, the Lady Mats looked to put a cherry on top of a season of perfection. The 82-67 Miramonte win on Saturday night was only the third victory against the Dragons since ‘07. The NCS championship victory marked a dominant performance and three year sweep of the Dragons in the NCS finals.

The Dragons of Bishop O’Dowd brought their athleticism and quickness, while the Lady Mats came out to play with their intense full court press. O’Dowd has a history of NCS success, and has always matched up well against the Lady Mats. The Dragons have managed to defeat the Lady Mats three times since the 2007 season, all of which have been in NCS meetings.

Senior G Sabrina Ionescu had another outstanding game of 25 points and 13 rebounds, alongside senior F Uriah Howard’s strong performance with 16 points and six rebounds. O’Dowd did a solid job in getting the Matadors tired. However, the Lady Mats refused to back down, pushing the pace of the game and mounting a sizeable lead by the fourth quarter. Miramonte’s backcourt also responded well to the championship game pressure: Senior Keana De Los Santos and sophomore Claire Steele combined for 24 points as they offered solid scoring options. If the Lady Mats are going to go far in state, the backcourt will have to carry a heavy scoring load.

“It was a big win for us because it’s good to play teams that give us competition like we could see in state,” said De Los Santos.

Coming up for the Lady Mats is the open division state championships, where they will start with a home game against Brookside Christian. The Knights of Brookside Christian are led by University of Washington bound PG Aarion McDonald. McDonald averages 22 points per game along with seven assists.

The state tournament is going to give the second-seeded Lady Mats a big challenge, but with a leading and experienced senior class, they have proven they are ready for it.