Track and Field Engages in Inter-Squad Battle in Annual Green and White Meet

Lauren Smith

Kate Dunn, Staff Writer

Freshman Cassy Haskell had never competed like that before. But on Feb. 24, competing against fellow track runner junior Hannah Fishlow, Haskell pushed herself to improve her time against the fastest female 800-meter runner on the Miramonte track team.

At that Green and White meet, teams were divided as evenly as possible so the skill level was evenly balanced, each topping around 50 people. Competitors dressed accordingly to reflect their team spirit, either wearing green or white clothes, as well as matching face paint.

All events that normally take place at actual meets also occurred at the Green and White scrimmage. For instance, junior Lola Olabode normally participates in the high jump, 300 hurdles, the 400-meter, as well as the 4×4 relay. “We usually do the same events as we would in an actual meet,” Olabode said. “The Green vs. White event was mostly in preparation for the Skyline meet.” This scrimmage was the only practice meet of the season and gave the athletes a preview of what all the meets might be like. It served the purpose of preparing the team for its Feb 27 meet at Skyline High School. “Green and White helped me at Skyline because I was able to see what times and splits I should be hitting in the Skyline meet,” Haskell said.

The Green and White track meet also served the purpose of giving new track members a chance to experience what a meet feels like and how it works, as well as getting experienced members back in the groove. “Scrimmages against our own team allow for a relaxed, yet competitive atmosphere,” junior Lauren Smith said. “It is a healthy form of competition, since competing against teammates gives us a drive to do even better.”

The scrimmage also gave the experienced upperclassmen a chance to evaluate the team’s new freshmen members. “I think that we are going to do well; we have good new freshmen,” Olabode said. “Everyone does different events, which gives us a good widespread variety.”

In the past, the meet’s results were extremely close, which led to multiple point recounts. However, this year the Green Team won by a significant amount, with the first four athletes in every event scoring points for the team. The Green Team ended up winning the practice meet in part due to outstanding performances by senior Christian Gonzales and freshman Cassy Haskell. Both athletes set meet records, and Haskell’s performance highlighted  the talent of this year’s freshman track athletes.