Girls Water Polo Makes it to Semis in Opening Tournament

Photo: Kristen Tehaney

Peter Stehr, Sports Editor

Beating Campo is always a sweet victory for any Mats sports team-and that’s just what the varsity women’s water polo team did this past weekend. They were finally able to showcase this season’s talent at an opening tournament at Acalanes, where six teams faced off to start the 2016 season. The women’s team battled through to the semifinals, but succumbed to Monte Vista and settled with third place after beating Campolindo in a high stakes matchup.

In the opening games of the tournament, the Mats cruised through Northgate and Sir Francis Drake, handling the Pirates in a commanding 20-12 victory. Both veterans and rookies shown bright at the tournament, with sophomore Savannah Sherwood blockading the net with 16 blocks in the first two games. Sherwood also came up big in the semi-finals against Monte Vista, but the Mustangs squeezed out a narrow 8-7 victory over the Mats.

The anticipated match of the tournament came in the consolation game for third place between Campolindo and Miramonte. The stars of the team truly shined, with Kelly Murphy having an impressive 3-goal performance. Sophomore Kate Lyons and juniors Grace Tehaney, Katrina Drake, and Carson Broad also contributed with a goal each. As the match fell into sudden death, defensive mastermind Skylar Savar lobbed a game winning goal in the opening minutes of overtime, giving the Mats third place and an always prized win over the Cougars. “Games with Campo are always intense, so we were excited to beat them.” Says Katrina Drake. “We look forward to playing them again in the regular season.”

Women’s water polo will face San Ramon Valley next Wednesday, the 21st of September, in a tough matchup between two very talented teams.