Miramonte Pummels Mt Diablo 57-6 in Home Opener

Ethan Fischler '18 breaks away from Mt. Diablo defenders in Friday night's game.

Jonah Medal-Katz, Staff Writer

Mats football continued this season’s success in last Friday’s home opener against Mt. Diablo High School. The Mats dominated the Red Devils, allowing zero defensive points in a crushing 57-6 victory. The win puts their record at 3-0 and moved them to first place in DFAL.

The Mats offense exploded early, easily putting up 22 points in the first quarter. Quarterback Tim Tague 17’ had another big game, throwing five touchdowns in just the first half, two going to Nolan Brown ‘17 and two more to Nick Foster ‘17. In the second half, second string quarterback, Xavier Clark ‘18 continued the passing success with two more touchdowns. “Almost all of our routes were open and it was great to see the quarterbacks able to distribute the ball to so many receivers,” said Ethan Fischler ‘18 on the Mats passing game. The running game was also effective for the Mats with 117 rushing yards. Xavier Clark 18’ scored the only rushing touchdown for the Matadors. The only blemish in the Mats’ huge offensive display was a pair of interceptions thrown by Tim Tague ‘17. One interception was returned for a touchdown by the Red Devils defense for their only points of the game.

The Mats continued their defensive success and allowed zero points. The Matadors dominated the Red Devils in every aspect of the game, constantly halting their drives with impregnable defensive stands and 3 turnovers. Mt. Diablo’s Fernando Perez was intercepted twice by Bill Martin and Will Cassriel. Cassriel’s interception is his third in three games. He leads the team in interceptions.

This Friday the Mats will travel to Alameda, where the 0-2 Hornets look to upset the undefeated Matadors. Robin Vanderlaan ‘18 suffered a knee injury in Friday’s game which will leave the Mat’s offensive line shorthanded. Miramonte hopes to return lineman Carson Lowe ‘17 and wide receiver Ben Wemer ‘17 who were both injured in the season opener against Vanden.