Girls Water Polo Edges out Campo in Final Seconds

Back to Article
Back to Article

Peter Stehr, Sports Editor

Campolindo and Miramonte matchups in any sport always yield truly electrifying games with competitive action, and the girls water polo matchup was no exception. This past Wednesday on October 20, top-ranked Mats girls polo locked down an 9-8 victory over the Cougars in the closing seconds of the game.

There was intense physicality throughout the game, as Miramonte’s top players Kelly Murphy ‘18 and Grace Tehaney ‘18 got into foul trouble early in the game. They were both eventually rolled, or ejected, from play in later periods. Despite this, the Mats locked down on defence with a tough performance by goalie Savannah Sherwood ‘19. In addition, Miramonte produced continual offensive scores with a very impressive performance from Katrina Drake ‘18, who scored an extraordinary 5 goals. In classic Campo v Miramonte fashion, the game came down to the final seconds, when Carson Broad ‘18, who had two previous goals, scored a game-winning shot with 30 seconds left.

A victory over Campolindo is always a sweet one for Miramonte student-athletes, as Junior Frankie Veverka states, “Campo games are always high-stakes, we played them in the preseason and won in overtime so we knew it would be an uphill battle. We played hard as a team and pulled through with a great win.”

Girls polo will compete in the NorCal invitational this Friday, October 21, a tournament that they finished fourth in last year. However, with a prestigious second seed ranking, the team sets their eyes on the championship plaque.