Mats XC Runners Excel at Clovis

Angelina Little, Staff Writer

On October 8th, 32 elite members of the Miramonte Cross Country team traveled to Fresno, California to compete at the Asics Clovis Invitational. The coaches selected two girls teams and three boys teams to race at the Woodward Park state course in the hopes that the experience would prepare the runners to race at the state meet. On Friday, the team departed at 8 a.m. and embarked on a four hour bus ride to the Woodward Park Course they would run on the next morning. The temperature reached the high eighties, but the heat did not stop the Miramonte runners from beating personal records.The team experienced substantial victories on the five-kilometer course. The Miramonte varsity girls placed 4th in Division Three, with sophomore Cassy Haskell taking first place with a time of 18:09. Seniors Rosie Cruz and Hannah Fishlow finished not far behind in 10th and 22nd place, respectively. The varsity boys took 8th place, led by senior Jonathan Fierro with an impressive time of 16:10. The JV girls finished 4th overall and the JV boys finished 7th. The success of the team reflects positively on their chances at state, where they will race in November. The team will continue to work to improve their times for the important meets on the horizon.