Why Senioritis is Contagious

Why+Senioritis+is+Contagious+

Kelsi Lerner, Staff Writer

Instead of running with my monthly theme of “why ___ is addicting,” I thought I’d mix it up a bit for something that’s on everyone’s minds. At this point, all of us have a feeling of longing to be out of school, and why shouldn’t we? There’s only a month left! But unless you’re actually a senior in high school, what you’re feeling isn’t Senioritis. What you’re feeling depends on your situation:

For freshmen and sophomores, this feeling is really more of a longing for summer. The sun is shining, the temperature is getting warmer, and we all want to be outside having fun. This is totally normal, since pretty much nobody ever wants to be inside doing work. Senioritis will hit you, and when it does, you’ll know.

For juniors, what you’re feeling is really more of a longing to be a senior. Sure, there’s the longing for summer as well, but for the most part you’re excited about all of the perks that come with being a senior (and trust me, there are perks). You won’t really feel Senioritis until all of the fun and excitement from being a senior has worn off, and by that point you’ll have visited your college of choice several times and will be able to practically taste the freedom.

Which brings me to the seniors. At this point, we’ve all been accepted to the school that we plan to attend next year, or at least know of next year’s plans. We’ve been to our college of choice and know that it’s going to be freaking awesome. Many of us have already integrated ourselves into our school of choice, from joining our college’s Facebook “Admitted Students” group (see: Tamar McCollom), to buying sporting event tickets online. Basically at this point, we pretty much belong to two schools: one representing our bright and shining future (a future without parent supervision, might I add), and one representing our past selves… that may or may not actually be in the past yet.

The most dangerous thing about Senioritis, though, is that it gets worse

So, so much worse.

See, believe it or not, I used to be one of those kids that actually liked school.

Senior year gave me the leverage to take classes that I actually wanted to take, which was awesome and made going to school even better.

That’s when second semester hit.

The attitude in the entire senior class changed. People were excited about getting out of school in just a few months, and I think at that point we all assumed that in this next semester the teachers would understand that we were kind of done with school, and in turn they’d make classes easier. Nothing is ever that simple. Instead of classes getting easier, people just stopped caring. It was the weakest ones to fall first; they’d stop coming to class as much, and didn’t do homework. Like a horde of mindless zombies, they were with us physically, but their minds were already long gone.

The infection soon spread. From period to period, people would just stop trying. Seniors would flip open their notebooks, look at the amount of homework they had to do, then just flip them shut again. Formerly straight-A students would ignore the teacher in favor of doing more productive things, like staring out the window. It became a nightmare.

After AP tests are over, it can only get worse. At this point I’m hanging on to my final shreds of caring, but I feel I can’t hold out for much longer. Some time within the next two weeks I will be completely infected by the Senioritis virus – until then, I can only hope my current GPA is high enough to make the fall.

I suppose this is my final goodbye. At this point I’m too apathetic to even finish my sent