Long Live the Lone Wolf

Jackie Steele, Staff Writer

We all remember the days when we frantically searched for a familiar face to walk to class with (no offense to those who still do) to avoid the awkward and embarrassing trek to class alone. Being seen by yourself could almost deem you a social outcast at some point in our high school world. There are very few things that are more important than security and a sense of belonging while at school. Everyone wants to find and have a place where they fit in and feel sure of themselves, and more often than not, this security is found in being part of a group. That said, we have all seen a “loner” roaming around or sitting alone, leading me to ask, why is this individuality looked down on?

I’m all for the individual, and I think that there’s nothing more empowering than someone who has the courage to be by themselves. However, I often hear talk of so and so eating by themselves and how much of a loser they are because of it. What’s the big idea?! Clearly there’s some major insecurity in those who are unable to be on their own. I get it, people in high school are quick to judge, but who all of the sudden decided that judgement is in any way valid?

It’s understandable to not want to be by yourself, it’s so much harder to avoid making eye contact with other people when you’re alone, being the only target and all, but it’s manageable. Trust me, you’re going to have to brave the storm on your own eventually, so why not take baby steps now to prepare yourself for the future?

If there’s anything I’ve learned in my high school career, it’s not to care. Obviously not in the slack off in school way, but just don’t worry about anything anyone has to say. So what if they assume things about you, why do they matter? We can all use a break from people at some point, so why not be on your own at school once in awhile? It’s normal, I promise (no guarantees that I am though, sorry). This devil may care lifestyle may even teach you a thing or two.

I don’t know about you, but I’m proud to be a loner.