Social Situations: Be Mine?

Claire Marvin, Staff Writer

Remember when your biggest Valentine’s Day worry was making sure that your Valentine’s box, or rather just your mom’s old shoe box you glitter-painted and bejeweled the bejesus out of, was the candy-worthy? Or cutting your heart-shaped card just right so that your mom could put it on the fridge? Or maybe even getting up the courage to hold your crush’s hand at recess?

I, for one, miss those simpler times. It’s easy in high school to forget what Valentine’s Day is really about. Yes, Valentine’s Day is a “hallmark holiday” the media has dictated time and time again that we must celebrate it in order to fill our little consumer hearts.

But so what? If you think about it, basically every holiday we celebrate in America has become commercial. The Saint Patrick’s Day we celebrate has nothing to do with Saint Patrick ridding Ireland of its snakes. Instead we dress in green, hunt for leprechauns, eat clover-shaped cookies, and go around pinching people. On Easter Sunday, we run around a patch of grass with a basket and search for eggs dropped by a bunny.  I can guarantee you that the pilgrims weren’t chowing down on a huge turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin pie at the first Thanksgiving. And I definitely  don’t recall reading about a fat man flying around the world in a sleigh with eight reindeer anywhere in the Bible.

So what’s the point? The point is that it’s not fair to single out one holiday as a dumb, materialistic holiday because in reality they all are. So don’t focus on what advertisements and billboards tell you; focus on what the holiday means to you.

It doesn’t matter if you have a boyfriend, girlfriend or are single this Valentine’s Day because Valentine’s Day is just an excuse to tell someone you love them. That someone could be your mom, dad, sister, brother, grandpa, grandma, boyfriend, girlfriend, friend, cat, dog… anyone!

The true value of the day is not the $13.19 billion Americans will spend on Valentine’s Day gifts. Instead, it is learning to see February 14th for what it really is; a day to say I love you.