Cooking With Liz: Getting Creative with Yogurt

Liz Berndt, Staff Writer

As lent comes to a close, I am faced with a choice: do I continue on the no flour or sugar path or do I go back to my old ways? Every year I tell myself I’m going to continue and every year I fail to do so. There is something about lent that makes fasting so much easier. It gives me a solid reason to go without those couple of foods that I crave wholeheartedly.

Right now I look at sugar and have no desire to eat it. Nothing about cookies or cake sound good anymore, but speaking from experience once I start eating them again I will start craving them again. Sugar is extremely addictive. I crave it all the time when I am not completely avoiding it. I find it the hardest food to turn down and walk away from. No one needs refined sugar or flour, we simply want it. Fruit is now so sweet that eating a cookie sounds pointless, but I know that in a couple weeks I’ll remember what cookies taste like and once again I will be crave them.

Although it sounds like I am giving up, I will try to stay on this path. I plan on easing myself back into sugar and flour and hopefully will be able to make smart choices, like eating smaller quantities and less frequently. My whole family has been avoiding flour and sugar, so as a family we will have to decide what we want to do. Whether or not mom will start using flour in dinner preparation is all up in the air. I assume that like most years, we will gradually bring flour back into meal planning and eventually end up where we started, just in time for next year’s lent to come and allow  us once again to fast.

As lent has progressed, I have gotten more creative (with the help of Pinterest of course) in my snacking habits. I love apples and peanut butter, or anything and peanut butter really, and I have taken to expanding this snack. Instead of using simply peanut butter, I have been mixing greek yogurt, a spoonful of PB, a drizzle of honey, a dash of cinnamon, and a couple drops of vanilla together to create a cacophony of deliciousness. Yogurt is such a great base. You can add tons of different ingredients to it and create your own spread. I plan on trying to make a pumpkin pie tasting yogurt in the near future.

Although I may not be as strict with myself as I was during lent, I strongly encourage all students to try going without flour or sugar. It may seem hard, but it is very rewarding and a fun challenge.

Roughly what my measurements are (but really I just mix the ingredients together and hope it tastes good).

Peanut Butter Yogurt Spread

½ cup Greek yogurt

1 tbsp. peanut butter

½ tsp. honey

¼ tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. vanilla