Social Situations: What is Life?

K. Laughton

Claire Marvin, Columns and Reviews Editor

Life is a roller coaster. One second you are literally jumping for joy with your team because you pulled out an exhilarating win in double-overtime at your first NCS game, and the next you are uncontrollably sobbing in front of at least 30 people in the parking lot because you stupidly backed into someone’s car. How can things be so utterly amazing one moment and so humiliating the next?

Sometimes life can seem unfair and one could spend forever asking why me? Or why not me? But at the end of the day, we’re dealt the cards we’re dealt. Sometimes you’re handed a couple of pocket aces and finish out the day with a royal flush, and other times  you’re handed a blank and have to completely rethink your strategy. When life deals us these undesirable cards we can’t just throw our hands in the air and fold; we have to make the best of the situation. And yes, that is much easier said than done, but there comes a point when we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves. At times it can be extremely hard to believe, but we have to remember that at least someone out there can relate to what you are dealing with and there is probably a whole slue of people who have it even worse than you do.

As a teenager, it’s easy to get hung up on the little things like finding out that someone is wearing the same prom dress as you, freaking out over AP tests, making that varsity team or even backing into someone’s car. While all of these things might completely take over your life for a few weeks, they are not going to affect the rest of your life. The only things that are truly going to matter in the end are the things which we allow to matter.

Life is about choices and we are lucky to have so many of them. We have the power to be whoever we want, whenever we want, and with whom we want. So don’t dwell on what could have been if x, y, and z hadn’t happened, and cherish the moments in the here and now. We’re only teenagers once, and whether it is one of the absolute best times of our lives or one of the worst, we can’t deny that being young allows us to dream bigger and reach higher. Before we know it we will be old and grey, bouncing grandchildren on our knobby knees telling them the stories of our lives. I don’t know about you, but I intend to tell them that I lived my life and refused to sit still and watch it go by, because living is the only gift we are given that never gets old.