Saying Goodbye to The Office

Simone Britto, Staff Writer

After nine seasons, The Office finally ended this month. Other fans and I have a lot of mixed emotions. I’m sad to say goodbye to all of my favorite characters, but glad that the show won’t drag out any longer.

There are a lot of things that make The Office great. It’s an incredibly original idea. No other show on TV captures to mundane life of average people quite like it does. Michael Scott is just like everyone’s ignorant boss, Dwight is just like everyone’s crazy co-worker, and Pam is like everyone’s office-crush. The Dunder Mifflin gang is just a group of wonderful, regular people.

That being said, the show definitely dragged out a few seasons too long. I never get tired of Dwight and Jim’s antics, but all good things must come to an end. There was a point in the fifth season when Michael left to start his own company, just to have it be bought by Dunder Mifflin and to return to his old job. For a little while, it seemed like none of the characters were growing at all as people.

Like most shows after six years, The Office just ran out of steam. They started recycling storylines, even trying to make Andy and Erin the new Jim and Pam. (Really, the fans were never going to accept that. Jim and Pam are perfect. Jam for life.)

Then during the seventh season, Michael Scott, the core of the entire show, left. That was where the show should have ended. Michael’s last episode was so well done, and his goodbye scene with Pam was so beautiful. Many tears were shed. It would have been a really good way to end the show.

Real fans like to pretend the eighth season didn’t actually happen. Who’s idea was it to make Andy the new manager? Can I slap them?

The final season was actually better though. The show definitely ended on a good note. Everyone started to show character growth again, though I was really upset that Jim and Pam went through such a rough patch. The last episodes made me nostalgic, reminding me of when The Office was in its prime. All in all, we’ll all miss it, but it’s time to let go.