Cooking with Liz: Finals Fudge

Liz Berndt, Editor-in-Chief

Oh finals, finals, finals. How will I survive the next two weeks? Complete denial to avoid studying, possibly a poor choice; even so, the question still stands. I see numerous 5 a.m. wake ups in my future. My sister, unlike me, has all her studying planned out. She’s on the ball, ready to destroy any tricks they throw at her. She’s determined and focused, something I feel few and far between these days. Where’s the drive I had freshman through junior year? What happened to me? Senioritis? Possibly.

Regardless, I have to take my finals, and I should probably spend as much time as possible studying for them. So how do I motivate myself? For the purposes of this column, I am going to say food, fudge specifically.

Much to my chagrin, the holiday’s have come and gone, family has passed through, and the tree was hauled off by the Waste Management (I think…). My question is: why do we only make fudge during the holidays? I think decadent chocolate is enjoyable at anytime of the year. So, I set out to find a recipe that would be quick and delicious, the perfect combination for a hopefully studying senior.

This recipe (below) only takes 7 minutes. You can listen to the Sound Remedy remix of Daughter’s Medicine only once and have before you an incredible batch of fudge. It’s that easy. Good Luck everyone in the next two weeks; especially seniors, we only have two more: this and Spring Finals and we’re done baby!

The Easiest Fudge in the World

Ingredients:

• 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

• 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

• 1 tablespoon butter

• 1 tablespoon cream

• 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, if desired

Preparation:

1. Place chips and milk in microwave safe bowl (You can use just the one package of semisweet chocolate chips, or add the milk chocolate chips for a fudge that is slightly sweeter and creamier.)

2. Microwave on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Microwave, stirring at 1 minutes intervals, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth and thick. Stir in butter and cream until combined.

3. Pour into greased 8″ square pan and cool. You can also melt the chips and milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat.

4. You can add just about anything to this easy recipe. Stir in a cup of chopped nuts, add a cup of marshmallows after the cooking time is done, stir in chopped dried fruit or some white chocolate chips. Have fun with the recipe!