Cooking with Liz: Tahoe and Alfredo

Cooking+with+Liz%3A+Tahoe+and+Alfredo+

Liz Berndt, Editor-in-Chief

Second semester brings a whole new world. It really is the race to the end. Graduation, the day we’ve been thinking about since kindergarten, is way closer than I realize. But this kind of thinking is nostalgic and unnecessary at the moment– right now I’m just living.

First semester ended and we kicked off our new lives with the trip of a life time. All my friends and I went to Tahoe, and for the first time in years, relaxed with literally nothing hanging over our heads (except, of course, the 50 articles I had to edit Monday night when I got home at 10 p.m. …).

We were essentially on our own and ready to do whatever we felt like doing. We kayaked in the morning and skied in the afternoon, slept in for the first time in ages and played a huge game of Spoons. We laughed and sang along to “Timber,” possibly the greatest song of all time, vowing to never get bored of it (we’ll see how long that lasts). But with this freedom came some responsibility– we had to feed ourselves.

This, to me, was more exciting than daunting. I thought up a meal plan, made a grocery list, and learned the ins and outs of the kitchen. The house was very open. The kitchen, the dining area, and the sitting area all blended together beautifully. This made the experience wonderful.

We cooked things that were easy: pasta, nachos, bagels, smoothies etc. However, the group favorite was definitely the Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo we had Sunday afternoon for lunch.

It’s fun when people love what you cook and everyone really loved the pasta. I used a relatively simple recipe, but it really was the greatest of comfort foods:

One Pan Chicken Alfredo

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoon of olive oil

• 1¼ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts

• 2 cloves of garlic, minced

• 1 14 oz can of low sodium chicken broth

• 1 cup of heavy cream

• ½ a pound of penne pasta, or any bite-sized shape pasta, uncooked (I used actual Fettucini– it worked just as well as any bite-size pasta)

• 2 cups of freshly shredded real parmesan cheese (This is what got my sauce to thicken in the final minutes)

• Salt and pepper (You really won’t need much)

• Flat leaf parsley for garnish (I didn’t use this– however, when I made it at home the following week I did. It’s great either way)

Instructions

1. Start by cutting chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Season with ½ a teaspoon of kosher salt and a few turns of pepper.

2. Brown chicken in olive oil over medium high heat.

3. It does not need to be cooked through at this point, it will continue cooking as it simmers.

4. Once chicken is browned, add minced garlic and saute for about one minute.

5. Add chicken broth, cream, and uncooked pasta to pan and stir.

6. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.

7. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender.

8. Remove from heat and stir in shredded parmesan cheese.

9. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

Help from Liz:

• Keep the pan covered while the pasta and chicken simmer

• It does take a solid 15 minutes to get the sauce to thicken. If it still looks runny, turn up the heat a little and begin adding the cheese.

• I doubled the recipe and it really only fed 10 (there were 12 of us oops!)

• “Lick the pan” with some baguette!

• Enjoy 🙂