We’re All in This Together

Elena Wasserman, Breaking News Editor

Well, it’s now second semester. For us seniors all we can think about is graduating– well let’s face it, we’re ALL thinking about graduating– while the juniors dread another semester of being a junior; sophomores dread becoming a junior, although they obviously want to finally become an upperclassman and sit on the other side of the gym; and lastly, freshman finally don’t feel so lost, but are starting to realize that they’ve only got one semester down and seven more to go.

We’re not missing last summer anymore, but looking forward to the summer that is oh so close in our future. No more looking at classroom numbers to see where to go, and no more searching for a table, or a slab of grass for that matter, because everyone has found a place by now, but wait. Let’s look back at that last sentence: “everyone has a place by now.” What does that even mean? A place? Think about it. It’s not just talking about lunch tables, but friend groups. You know, that group chat on your phone with a certain amount of people, the people always in your cover photo on facebook, the people you’re basically always with at school. Hold on a second, not even that. Because not everyone has that. This is high school. And as if it hasn’t been stressed enough in the young-adult books in the section of the library or on an ABC family television show, what I’m trying to talk about is the feeling of being left out.

I’m not pointing fingers, but you all know what I’m talking about. It’s that feeling when there isn’t enough room on the bench for you to sit, or when people get into groups in a class and you’re the odd man out, literally. We don’t mean to do it, but we do. Because no one likes being the person left out. All anyone ever wants is that group of friends, that group chat, even that cover photo, so you’re never the one left out NO MATTER WHAT. Because it sucks. You feel crappy, and it sucks. All you can help but do is think about what you did differently, what you did wrong, for this situation to arise where you are the one without someone. Welcome to high school.

Maybe it’s because I just ate some Dove chocolate that made me feel empowered, or the fact that I’m a Second Semester Senior who feels just so “wise” with all that has to do with high school, but I think it’s time it gets mentioned, and that we stop this nonsense. I know, I know, easier said than done right? Just hear me out. I’m not saying you have to “change” friend groups, or go hug everyone you see (like everyone after that super intense Challenge Day in middle school). I’m just saying it’s time you all know that we ALL have gone through it, and it is too our own fault that we’re all so exclusive, along with everyone else. It’s time we stop, and don’t hate me for saying it, but being kind is a pretty darn good place to start. Stop assuming the BS, and stop spreading the cra– I mean poop–you hear about others that you have NO proof of being true. And for the stuff that is true, it’s none of your business. Oh and trust me, that person has called themselves much worse things because we all are our worst critics.

We’re all young, we’re all immature–even those seniors who just turned 18– and we all do it. However, just like it’s said about addiction: “the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem,” and forming cliques is our problem. Make friends, great, have a few people you enjoy hanging out with, even greater, but take a second and think about that golden rule you learned about in girl scouts, boy scouts, or on the internet: “do unto others as you would have others do unto you.”

I dare you Matadors to stop caring so much about what social group you’re in and just try “to be the person you wish to see in the world.” High school is hard enough with the school work, SAT’s, and extra curriculars. So let’s all just try to be kind, be thoughtful, and maybe even make a new friend. After all, none of us know when we might run into each other again; it can’t hurt!