Fall Play Preview: The Great Gatsby

Christian Santiago, Staff Writer

The Great Gatsby is an American novel that is the definition of the word “classic.” Originally written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1925, Gatsby tells stories of life in the Roaring Twenties in New York City. Dealing with themes like love and the American Dream, this story has been adapted in numerous types of media, from multiple movies to radio drama. And now the Miramonte Players are performing the newly made stage interpretation of The Great Gatsby.

The play stars Senior Kevin Pack as the titular character Jay Gatsby. “It’s real exciting. I’m very grateful to be a part of it. There’s a lot of stress and pressure, but I’m with very happy with how it’s going so far.”

The play also stars Junior Leah Woodcox as Daisy Buchanan in her first Miramonte Production. “I’m very excited to be apart of the production.” she said. “I’m always nervous when I get up on stage though. So I guess I’m 90 percent excited and 10 percent nervous.”

“I picked The Great Gatsby because it is a story that everyone knows” said Director Heather Cousins. “I really wanted to do something with the 20’s, something with the Jazz Age and something extravagant.”

This group of Advanced Drama actors performing in the play are known for their comedic acts. Most of the cast is part of the comedy troupe The Goats of Denmark. But this is the first production in which the Miramonte Players had to act in a serious, dramatic show. “There are so many great acting challenges in Gatsby” said Cousins. “This is a group of students where we have done a lot of zany comedies, lots of funny and silly things. I really wanted to push them and give them a challenge and do something they hadn’t done before; being very dramatic.”

“This is the first production the Miramonte Players had to tackle the resolves around a central cast. It’s not an ensemble piece,” said Jesse Epstein, who plays Myrtle Wilson in the play.

Cousins also likes using as much music as possible when it comes to her productions. “We are using a mix of live music and famous songs from the Jazz Age. We are fortunate enough to have great musicians and singers in the cast.” The Great Gatsby is playing November 5-7 at 7 P.M. Tickets are available at the door or on the Miramonte webstore.