Foundation Announces National Merit Scholars

A group of semifinalists and commended scholars smile after their recognition ceremony in the college career center

Kate Wolffe, Staff Writer

The National Merit Scholarship program recognizes gifted students all over the country for their scores on the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT). This standardized test, taken by juniors in early October, serves as an initial screening of program entrants.
The results from last October are in, and Miramonte is honored to have 12 National Merit semifinalists, 35 commended students, and two recipients of the National Hispanic Recognition Reward roaming it’s halls.

Of the 1.5 million juniors (now seniors) nationwide that took the PSAT in 2010, 16,000 got in the 99th percentile and were recognized as semifinalists, and 30,000 as commended students. Of the former number, 12 seniors from Miramonte: Justin Ahmann, David Baker, Jason Blore, Sophia Bollag, Alexander Chen, Robert Fluegge, Syed Ali Hasanain, Samantha Kaufhold, Kathleen Stanaro, Courtney Tran, Eric Wu, and Hayley Young are semifinalists.
These students are eligible for one of the three Merit Scholarship awards. These awards include the National Merit $2500 Scholarships, single payment scholarships given regardless of family financial circumstances, college choice, or major and career plans, as well as Corporate-Sponsored Merit Scholarships, and College-Sponsored Merit Scholarships, awards in which a corporation or college sponsors a finalist for up to four years of undergraduate study.

The scores of these students reflect very well on Miramonte itself, and a brief reception was held in honor of the scholars on Oct. 25.
“We are very proud of these students,” said Principal Adam Clark. “Their scores can only impact the school and our standing with the state positively.”

Miramonte has the most semifinalists of all the schools in the Acalanes Union High School District, with six from Las Lomas, three from Acalanes, and 10 from Campolindo. Hopefully Miramonte can continue this trend.