Sane Students Offer Helpful Advice

Alison Pietrykowski, Photo Editor

With the school year now in full swing, homework, sports and various after school activities have started to fill up Miramonte students’ free time. With so much to do and so little time, stress and anxiety often take over our frazzled minds. After talking to a few of Miramonte’s finest, here are the most effective ways to tackle stress and do your best.

Julia Duncan ‘14 “When I get stressed I cuddle with my cats and tweet pictures of them.”

Connor Holton ‘13 “When I’m stessed I listen to music, if I’m really stressed I’ll listen to angry music. I prefer to take my mind off of it by playing video games or watching hockey.”

Brielle Graumlich ‘13 “I Skype or call someone I’m close with and they always make me feel better. Then I usually get some cookies.”

Do’s
Exercise – Be it two hours of an intense Miramonte sports practice or a quick 15 minute walk with your beloved dog, getting your blood pumping is a great way to clear your mind and refocus your thoughts.

Make a schedule – Make a to-do list of everything you need to do for the rest of the day. Put specific times next to each task, and include silly little tasks like eating a grape so you can feel the great satisfaction of checking something off.

Change your perspective – Realize that even if you fail every single test you take this year, your parents and friends will still love you and think you’re awesome (maybe not smart, but nevertheless, awesome).

Take a quick break –  Watch a two-five minute clip from your favorite TV show (Friends “The One with the Pediatrician” is strongly suggested if you want a good laugh).

Dont’s

Go on Facebook – Checking Facebook might be conceived as a five minute activity, but before you know it three hours will have passed and your will to finish your homework will have diminished.

Procrastinate – Do I really need to explain this? Just don’t do it guys, it’s no fun to be up until 1 a.m. 🙁

Use your smart phone – Twitter, Snapchat, Texting… They’re all distractions and will just make your homework take twice as long.