Is Leadership Right to Not Give Out Goldfish?

Simone Britto and Youngjoo Ahn, Staff Writers

PRO

by Simone Britto

Although winning goldfish had become a fun homecoming tradition, leadership is correct to not give them away as prizes this year. Though they announced last week that they intended to, they abandoned this idea due to teacher and parent complaints.

Leadership had good intentions, but unfortunately most high school students aren’t responsible enough to care for another living thing. We’re only teenagers. We can barely care for ourselves. Last year, even the leadership students forgot to put water conditioner in the tank, causing a lot of the fish to die.

Of the fish that did survive, many did not live much longer anyways. Trusting high school students with goldfish doesn’t usually end well. It’s inhumane and quite frankly teenagers can sometimes be cruel.

“I saw kids tossing and kicking around the bags of live goldfish, like it was a game. It was horrible,” junior Miles McCaulou said.

Last year the hallways were littered with plastic bags of fish left to die; and by the end of the day, the trash cans were full of dead fish. Some fish were even found in the pool. Innocent fish do not deserve this type of animal cruelty.

Although some students are capable of taking care of a fish, they seem to be hard to come by. Even honor student junior Caie Kelley can’t keep her fish alive. “Last year I won a fish but it only lived for three days. I’ve never kept a fish longer than a few days,” Kelley said.

We wouldn’t allow other animals to be given away as prizes, so why allow these poor fish? It’s unfortunate that students can be so careless, but until we can prove our responsibility, candy is probably a more suitable prize. When giving out candy, the worst consequence is wrappers on the ground, a better alternative to a bunch of fish corpses.

CON

by Youngjoo Ahn

It’s no secret that Miramonte High School lacks some school spirit. The only students that seem to actually dress up for Homecoming Week and other similar events are students in leadership. The day before any spirit day, there is usually a barrage of posts on Facebook from students in leadership reminding, begging, and pleading other students not to forget to dress up. Usually these posts are met with maybe a frown or a groan. This year the Spirit Cup was even created to promote school spirit among students. However there is one day that all students were excited about during past Homecoming weeks: the day that goldfish made a glorious entrance on to campus.

Winning goldfish provided joy in otherwise boring school days. I would always be so jealous of the friends who had somehow won one of these precious creatures. I would beg them to let me hold it and take care of it for a whole class period. It was my goal for the past two years to win a goldfish, and now my aspirations have been crushed. It could’ve been my new best friend but unfortunately leadership decided to stop the goldfish tradition.

Many students were disappointed that they weren’t able to win a goldfish and partake in an important spirit event.

“I never got a chance to win a goldfish but I think I would’ve really enjoyed having a goldfish. It’s sad that I never had the opportunity,” sophomore Cecilia Andrews said.

It’s great seeing our school come together and have a real sense of friendly rivalry and excitement about school events. I was sorely disappointed when leadership decided not to continue the goldfish tradition.