Women’s Golf Season Ends With DFALs and NCS

Georgia Briskey, Sports Editor

The women’s golf team ends their season competing in DFALs on Oct. 15 and in NCS on Oct. 22.

Traveling to Poppy Canyon Golf Course in Livermore for DFALs, the team prepared for a long day filled with highly competitive league teams. The course was different than other courses, as it had three 9-hole courses, but the teams only played on two of them.

The ladies stayed strong throughout each hole, but lost their momentum with the last two holes. The Mats placed fifth overall at DFALs, just six strokes behind Campolindo.

From DFALs, captain Tori Hoff  ‘14 qualified for First Team All League and Arielle Carona ‘15 qualified for Second Team All League.

The following Monday, the Lady Mats met at Safeway bright and early at 6 a.m. for a long day at NCS. The golf team was put in Division II for NCS because of Miramonte’s student size, which resulted in the team placing second overall. The Lady Mats hold their NCS banner with pride.

Playing Division II also brings the opportunity for the top eight players to play in Division I individually on Oct. 29. Carona, playing her best that day, snagged the eighth place position and looks forward to playing next Monday. Hoff placed ninth.

The women’s golf season is shorter than most fall sports, but their competitive attitude made for an exciting season. Next year’s team will be even stronger as new freshman join the team.