Get Your Skate On

Jack Kovalik and Maddie Geary, Staff Writers

Aspiring to be the next Kristi Yamaguchi? If so, be sure to swing by Civic Park in Walnut Creek to practice your double axel.

Walnut Creek on Ice offers an exciting holiday activity with its winter ice rink. Open since Nov. 13, the rink will be available for skating until Jan. 13. This is a great activity to partake in at least once as the climate gets colder and the Christmas spirit rolls around.

A number of Miramonte students enjoy the ice skating rink, one of them being senior Sophie Fuller.

“The ice rink is a great winter time activity because it’s something you don’t normally get to do, especially here where it doesn’t snow,” Fuller said. Fuller plans on going back to the rink this year because she had such a fabulous experience with her friends last year.

Others enjoy skating, but have technical difficulties once they hit the ice.

“I was so bad at the beginning, but by the second hour I improved a lot through hard work and determination,” sophomore Mia Harnett said. “I could make it around the rink without stopping or falling. It was a life changing experience.”

Harnett was not the only Miramonte sophomore who had trouble with skating.

“When I first got on the ice I was mortified. I was positive I was going to die or at least lose a finger or two,” sophomore Spencer Hardwick said. “I prayed to God before, after and during.”

For those constant skaters, there is a Frequent Skater Pass, new this season, that can be purchased at the rink. Each pass costs $99 and is good for 10 visits. There is also the option of renting out the rink for special occasions such as a birthday party or fundraiser.

Sophomore Betsy Fellner had a funny and traumatizing experience during her trip to the ice skating rink many years ago.

“In third grade I broke my arm at the Walnut Creek ice skating rink,” Fellner said. “I think it’s because my legs are different lengths so I couldn’t find a balance. Whenever I tried to move I would just wipe out.”

General admission is $11 on weekdays, and $15 on the weekends. On Saturdays, the rink is open from 11 a.m. until 11 p.m., and on Sundays it is open from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m.

“I love the ice skating rink. I used to play ice hockey way back in the day, so I am always down to go to the rink and laugh at people who can’t skate,” sophomore John Diamantidis said.