Athlete of the Issue: Rene Clark

Hannah Friel, Sports Editor

“Some people just don’t understand the grind,” Rene Clark ‘14 said. “I’ve dedicated my life to it. Something worth getting is never easy.”

That quote is all you need to know about Rene Clark. Hardwork always edges out talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Clark has completely grasped that concept and made it his lifestyle. That is why he has blown up this year in football and been tearing the competition apart. And for that, Clark has been chosen to be Mirador’s first athlete of the issue this school year.

Clark loves football.  Actually, that might be an understatement. Clark has dedicated his whole life to the game, and it all started in his younger days when he participated in Pop Warner.

“When I was a kid and played Pop Warner, I was a running back. But once I got to high school I was mainly on the defensive side of the ball, so this is pretty much the first time I’ve seriously played runningback, and I really like it,” Clark said.

Besides playing Pop Warner as a kid, Clark has grown up going to Raider games and watching all levels of football on TV. “It’s pretty big in my family and it’s a huge part of my life,” Clark said.

“I know that Rene has worked really hard in the off season,” Clark’s father, Principal Adam Clark said. “Some days he was working out three times a day, so it’s really nice to see his hard work is paying off on the field. I know he is thankful for his teammates with blocking and the whole grand scheme of things, so I’m happy to see him doing well,” said Principal Adam Clark.
When Clark isn’t on the field or on the court playing basketball, he mainly focuses on training in the off-season.

“Lifting and conditioning are vital to be an impact player,” Clark said. “This summer I really focused on getting faster, bigger, pretty much everything you need to be successful in football.”

Whether they win or lose, the team always comes together to review what they can work on. “We act the same after a win or a loss. We watch film and take away the good things we do and the bad things we do and come back on Monday and try to get better than we were last week,” Clark said. Clark and the other captains lead by setting a positive example for the team and always emphasize putting 100 percent effort into everything.

According to his teammates, Clark is a great leader and a force on the field. “He’s vital to the defense because he can shut down a team’s best receiver and make their offense one dimensional. Plus it’s paramount to our success that he’s able to go both ways and provide some power at running back,” Bennett Stehr ‘14 said.

This year, Clark was chosen as one of the captains of the team. “When you are a captain, it’s important to lead the team, and the best way to motivate people is to lead by example, not words. So I try to set an example not only on game days but also every day at practice,” Clark said.

Although he has not made any verbal commitments, Clark is talking to Cornell University, University of San Diego, and University of Nevada at Reno. “I’ve always had a dreams of playing in the NFL, but I really started focusing and getting serious about wanting to play in college about my sophomore year, so that’s my really big goal,” Clark said.

With the big game against Campo tonight at 7 p.m. at Campo, Clark is feeling optimistic about how the team will perform. “I think against Campo and Acalanes we will play our best football because obviously our rivalry games are our most important ones,” Clark said.