Many People Struggle to Keep Their New Years Resolutions

Clayton Haskell, Staff Writer

Every year on December 31st people all around the world vow to better themselves in the new year, by making resolutions that will most likely be broken by the end of the month.

Ever since, the ancient Babylonians annually vowed to their gods to return borrowed goods, and pay off their debts, people have been making promises to themselves or to higher powers that they will be a better person in the upcoming year. The Romans, and Medieval knights have also been rumored to have made some sort of promise at the beginning of the new year.

This tradition has lived on until today as every year on January 1st the gyms are full, and everyone is in good spirits. Then come december 2nd people are back to their old ways as they think to themselves, “there’s always next year.” This saying pretty much sums up the reputation that these reputations have gained. These promises are expected to be broken, and most people lack the self control to follow through.

Miramonte students make resolutions just like the rest of the world, and break these resolutions, just like the rest of the world. Many students make resolve for improvement, but few succeed. This year, junior Mark Palmer has abstained from drinking soda. Palmer said, “I did it because I felt like I wanted to challenge myself to do something I had never done before.” He chose soda because it was an easy thing to cut out of his life, and things like iced tea, and gatorade were just as refreshing, but with less sugar.