Miramonte Students Hit the Slopes

Clayton Haskell, Staff Writer

Because of our close proximity to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, Miramonte students have the opportunity to hit the slopes once the holiday season rolls around.

Miramonte students are very fortunate to live so close to one of the best ski resorts in the world, Squaw Valley. Forbes rated Squaw Valley the sixth best ski resort in the United States. Surrounding Squaw are a plethora of other resorts that have enough runs to satisfy the daredevils, the tricksters, and the beginners.

Some Miramonte students aren’t satisfied with our local resorts. While many students head to the rockies to explore resorts like Whistler and Vail, others are still left looking for more. The next step up often includes a trip to europe.

Junior Bryce Hummer took a trip to France with his family to explore the foreign terrain. Hummer skied at the resort Les Trois Vallées, which means The Three Valleys in English. Even though he enjoyed the skiing in France, Hummer still prefers the American slopes. Hummer said, “It wasn’t as fun because they mostly ski on groomers, their definition of powder is just a few inches of fresh snow, and they are too leisurely during the ski day with long lunches when all I want to do is ski.” Hummer skied for the Alpine Meadows team up until recently. He dropped out of ski team freshman year because he wanted to hang out with his friends, and was tired of having to spend every winter weekend in Tahoe.

Hummer is not the only Miramonte skier to leave because of how time consuming the team was. Junior Mark Palmer also dropped out of the Alpine Meadows ski team freshman year. Palmer said, “I quit because of how time consuming it was, I would rather spend my ski days exploring new terrain, and visiting new places.” The amount of weekends that he had to spend in Tahoe also affected his decision to leave ski team.