Google Goes Above and Beyond All Expectations

Sarah Rockwood, Staff Writer

goo·gle:  transitive verb:  to use the Google search engine to obtain information on the World Wide Web.  You know you’re doing it right when the name of your company has become a basic component of modern day speech, recognized by none other than the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.  Google has become such a fundamental part of our lives that we rarely pause to think about the huge impact it has had on society.  The question lingers: “What would we do without Google?” The most common answer: “I don’t know.  Google it.”

When you hear the word “Google,” the first thing that comes to mind is likely the user-friendly search engine we all know and love, and makes research papers somewhat tolerable.  But in the past few years, Google has been crossing the line between typical internet services and groundbreaking technological advancements.

Catering to our every need, Google has become an indispensable tool of the high school student. We are all familiar with Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Maps, but many people are unaware of the new territory Google is getting involved in.  Its massive popularity led to its ever-expanding scope, and the company has bought out many other major companies, including YouTube and Motorola.

Now, with driverless cars and cheetah robots in the mix, Google has become much more than a source of information.  It has become a pioneer in the technological sector: forging new paths as it develops groundbreaking and frankly inconceivable projects.

The driverless car, for example, is something right out of a Sci-Fi movie, yet Google has successfully run trials on the highways right in our backyard.  From Google’s headquarters in Mountain View, many driverless cars have traveled as close to home as Highway 24.  It might not be long before you look over your shoulder and find that the drivers’ seat in the next car is vacant.  It will be even longer before you get used to it.

Another one of Google’s projects, the cheetah robot, has already gone faster than the world’s fastest human, Usain Bolt, without the help of wheels or jet packs.  While this may not seem like a huge deal, such an achievement is a technological breakthrough.  Next thing you know they’ll be designing those robotic personal assistants we’ve all been waiting for.

One of Google’s most well-known projects is the Google Glass. The Project Glass initiative was announced to the public in April 2012.  Currently in the prototype stage, the Glass is designed to be an interactive interface projected right in front of you.  With features such as GPS, camera, film, and messaging, the Glass is basically like your iPhone in hologram form.  Soon you might be able to surf the internet with the blink of an eye, literally.

Finally, one of Google’s most far-fetched projects, Calico, is boldly attempting to “solve death” by combating aging and disease.  Although you could say that’s the overarching goal of medicine, Google’s project is taking a much more ambitious approach, resembling the perpetual search for immortality itself.  While kept under wraps, Calico is just one of Google’s many missions to bring more advanced technology and its applications to the world.