Spring Sports Get Ready for Competition

Jack Kovalik, Sports Beats Editor

Baseball: After failing to make it to North Coast Section for the first time in 14 years, the Matador Baseball team looks to improve this season from the last. Notable graduated seniors from last year include Conor Bruen and George McConnell. However, expect Matt Metheny ‘14, Bennett Stehr ‘14, and the rest of the seniors to step up big time. “The expectation is to be a very good team, and improve upon how we finished last season,” Andrew Rosensweig ‘14 said.

Track and Field: The 2013 track season treated both the boys and girls well, and the Mats will look to stay on top of the competition. Some losses from graduation for the girls include Rebekah Ent and Anna Boer. However, the Lady Mats still look strong.
“We have some fast freshmen that are ready to compete. We should still be a strong team in DFAL this year,” Georgia Roden ‘15 said. Some of the fast girls on the team are Roden and Lindsay Buckel ‘14. For the guys, some fast runners are Elliot Fong ‘15 and Sid Bagga ‘15.

Swimming: The Matador swim team will feature much young talent for the 2014 season. “With last year’s graduation taking away some of our talent, the younger part of our team will come up big this year. Some of the younger swimmers are very fast and will have a great impact on our team,” Will Gittings ‘15 said. “We expect to swim strong this year and to compete closely with Campolindo.” The Mats are expected to be a fierce team this year, and will be a constant presence in Diablo Foothill Athletic League.

Golf: With a strong showing in North Coast Section last year, the golf team is expected to be a ferocious threat for DFAL. New coach Shim LaGoy hopes to bring a new attitude to the Matador team. “This year we are hoping to do better with our new coach, Shim, and a few new very solid players joining the team,” Scott Guidotti ‘15 said. “Replacing three very good seniors from last year is going to be tough, but I think we are up to the challenge.”

Men’s Lacrosse: Hoping to improve upon their second place finish in league last year, the boys lacrosse team is expecting big things from its younger players. The team is relying on strong upperclassmen leadership. “I’m expecting big things from Coleman Fine ‘14 and the senior class this year,” team captain Mac Lavis ‘14 said. “Jack Murphy ‘14 and Jackson Doyle ‘14 are going to have to step up and score a good amount of our goals.” The Mats are ready to take on the tough competition in DFAL.

Women’s Lacrosse: Last year, the Lady Mats finished strong with an appearance in the NCS Division II semifinals. Although the team did not advance past that round, the team became more motivated for this year. This season, the team has two new coaches, Melissa Humphries and Devon Combe. Team captain Hannah Friel ‘14 is excited to play and compete this season: “We have a ton of driven, returning players. The team is full of positive and motivated girls that are driven to win Division II NCS.” Friel said to look for strong seasons from Mica Zimmerman ‘14, Lauren Ramirez ‘16, and Caroline Tague ‘15. “The freshmen and sophomores will bring a lot of talent to the team, and I’m excited to see how this season will go.”

Men’s Tennis: The boys tennis team is expected to once again be a very competitive team. Although the Mats graduated a few very talented tennis players, expect the whole team to step up their level of play. Notably, star tennis player Logan Boersma ‘14 will not be playing tennis in the spring, and will instead be playing baseball for the Mats. “Our team is full of competitive and hard-working guys. Even though we do not have some of the players we have relied on in the past, expect the team to remain in contention for DFAL,” Peter Martin ‘15 said.

Men’s Volleyball: Coming off their first season playing volleyball in many years, the Mats look to add to their growing skill set. “This year, I’m expecting big things from the squad,’ Elliot Alper ‘14 said. Alper brings strong senior leadership to the squad this season. “Mitchell Tang ‘16 and Mitch Brooks ‘16 are very good sophomore players that really fit our team well,” Ray Barrie-Kivel ‘15 said. “I expect to make NCS and improve a lot from last year.”

Softball: The Lady Mats Softball Team is expecting to fair well in league this year. The team graduated a good amount of players but still hope to remain competitive. New coach Emily Hunt brings new life and spirit to the team. “As a team, we are hoping to do better than last year. Returning players like Gina Pagan ‘14 and Devin Mottier ‘14 are going to step up. I am excited to play this season,” Caitlin Kozicki ‘15 said.