Average Joe of the Issue: Bella Gutman

Gutman and baby brother Gabe take their first picture in California togther after the big move.

Kenyon Watson, Staff Writer

Junior Bella Gutman pronounces the word “cone” weirdly. Her thick accent stood out to many after moving to America this past summer. Her emphasis on vowels and unusual slang is intriguing to everyone at Miramonte.
“When I first got here, everyone would ask me to say words like aluminum and tragic because I pronounce them so differently. But it’s not me pronouncing the words oddly! It is all of you Americans!” Gutman said.
“Australia is massively different from America. I reckon moving here from down under was probably the biggest adjustment I’ve had to make to my life. I had to leave my real dad, my friends, and my home to start a completely new life. The lack of kangaroos is startling and the barbies don’t cook me shrimp how I like it. But everyone here at Miramonte has made the transition super smooth.”
Without downtown Sydney and its beaches to spend the weekends at, the Aussie has grown quite fond of setting out on adventures through San Francisco and Berkeley to discover hidden and quirky restaurants. She spends most of her free time listening to either old classics such as Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan and The Doors, or EDM and Trap. Her wide range in music has sprouted her love for music festivals and concerts. She attended many music festivals back in Australia, and attended her first American one at Coachella this past month. “Coachella was the best and most eventful three consecutive days of my life,” said Gutman. “I will for sure be attending it again next year.”
When Gutman is not hanging with her “amazing group of friends” or listening to music, she is painting. “My art is my way to express myself, and I think that color is really cool and dramatic. The style of my art is definitely very different from everyone here.”
At home, Gutman lives with mum, step-dad, her freshman sister Lula, and favorite human, younger brother Gabe. This 2-year-old brightens Gutman’s day quite often. He performs silly dances and keeps her company while she completes homework. Speaking of homework, one of Gutman’s least favorite things, takes up a lot of her time during the school week.
“I have way too much homework. I know everyone has a ton of homework, but I’m not as used to it because in Australia I didn’t have as much as I do here.” However, sometimes Gutman is lucky enough to have homework assignments for her favorite class, Honors Art. She really enjoys the art class because she can draw sketches of things out of her style. “Most of the work we do in that class is different from my aesthetic, but it is very fun to learn different types and sides to art.”
Gutman traveled to Australia in December and during the past spring break to visit her dad and friends. She really enjoys reuniting with the homeland because she dearly misses when she is in the States. But traveling back and forth from down under to America is not enough for her. Gutman is very interested in what the rest of the world offers. She plans to travel to Bali this summer after spending two weeks in Australia with good friend and junior Mia Harnett.
“I’m very excited to travel with Bella this summer,” Harnett said. “She has a lot planned for us in Australia. All she talks about is the amazing food I will be eating and the cool people I will be meeting.”
If you ever want a taste of the Aussie lifestyle or some hectic slang words to use, go check out Gutman’s twitter, @bellagutman23 or Instagram, @bellagutman.