Fall Sports NCS Wrap Up

Andrew Deaver, Staff Writer

The Men's Water Polo team poses after defeating Campo in the DI NCS championship game.
The Men’s Water Polo team poses after defeating Campo in the DI NCS championship game.

The Miramonte Men’s Water Polo team claimed its 14th NCS Championship title in the past 19 years on Saturday at Acalanes High School against their highly competitive rival Campolindo. Miramonte was the underdog in this final, having lost to Campolindo earlier in the season 11-8. However, Miramonte topped Campolindo 10-8 in a thrilling final to avenge its losses in last year’s final and this year’s league loss.

The Matadors played an extremely aggressive match and executed their game plan to its full extent. The Cougars offensive scheme was thwarted by the Matador’s defense as they were held scoreless for the first 10 minutes of play.

“I think what led to our success was our defense and how we pressured the perimeter and were quick to help. I wasn’t worried about us scoring goals I was more worried about preventing them on the other end,” Tommy Baier ‘15 said.

The Matadors had major contributions from all of their seniors, including MVP Goalkeeper Evan Pauletich ‘15, who was lights out in the cage and recorded 10 saves in Saturday’s game. The Mats wrapped up their season with a record 20-8 and trounced California, De La Salle, Sir Francis Drake, and finally Campolindo in their NCS postseason run.

The Miramonte Women’s Water Polo team triumphed to the final of NCS against bitter rival Campolindo who defeated the Mats 7-4 in a highly competitive match Last Saturday. This is the second year in a row that the Lady Mats have made it to the NCS final.

“I thought that this season was very productive and we accomplished many of our goals. We got the closest to beating Campo and overall our teamwork and team chemistry was great and I enjoyed playing with all my awesome teammates,” Hailey Eberle ‘16 said.

The Miramonte Football team was defeated by Casa Grande 48-6 in its first round of NCS. The Matadors obtained a final overall record of 3-8.

“It was a tough season for us but it was also a great experience and a lot of fun. Now we know what it takes to be a contending team next year,” Kevin Sheppard ‘16 said.

The Lady Mats Tennis team has had a very successful season so far with a second place NCS finish behind Monte Vista who defeated the Mats 4-3 last weekend. The Lady Mats are playing in the first round of the CIF State tournament this weekend.

“We had such a great team this year and I’m really going to miss our seniors. The team went farther than it has in a long time and I’m happy I got to be a part of it,” Holly Bohuslav ‘16 said.

The Mats Cross Country team heads off to Hayward High School for its NCS meet this Saturday. If the Mats finish in the top four they will compete at the State Championships at Clovis high school.

The Miramonte Women’s Golf Team finished its season by placing second in the Division II NCS tournament.

“I wish that we could have gotten first, but everyone played really well. It was an amazing end to my last season,”  Captain Arielle Carona ‘15 said.