CAPA Dancers Get Nut-Cracking

Layne Estes, Staff Writer

As the glistening green Christmas tree rises in the middle of the illuminated stage, dancers of all ages pirouette in unison around the enchanted scene. A yearly spectacle, the CAPA Nutcracker made its appearance at the Campolindo theatre on Dec. 17, and will run until Dec. 22 at various times throughout the day. The Nutcracker consists of four different casts, performing in a total of eight shows.

“I think that it is special that even though we are performing the same choreography in each show, it’s a different performance. Each show is unique and has a different feeling to it because we have different casts and we want to make each show new like it’s the first performance,” Arabian Nights dance member senior Taylor Wong said.

The CAPA Nutcracker has been a much-loved Lamorinda tradition, featuring dancers from very young ages to seniors in high school. Despite the wide spectrum of dancers, The Nutcracker is a very professional performance presenting an array of talent among the dancers. Aside from the variety of talent, the show introduces beautiful costumes and intricate sets to vitalize the Christmas spirit.

The dancers from Miramonte are senior Kelly Cheng as the Snow Queen, junior Danielle Chan as the Snow Queen, sophomore Angi Axelrode as the Dream Fairy and Doll, senior Taylor Wong and freshman Karina Ting in Arabian Coffee, and sophomore Hana Neugebauer as a Cat.

“I love The Nutcracker because it gets me excited for the holidays. I’ve been doing it since I was little so I always look forward to it,” Neugebauer said. “I also love the preparation that goes into it. We learn new choreography, and I enjoy getting fitted for costumes and bonding with my friends that dance.”

Tickets for this show are expected to sell out quickly. Six of the eight shows are performances at night, two of which will feature a “Dancers Concerto” that incorporates CAPA’s Ensemble Divisions performing a variety of numbers, from tap to jazz to contemporary pieces.