The Best Ways to Still Celebrate Birthdays in a Lockdown While Sticking to Safety Guidelines

Isla Burch, Staff Writer

Being in quarantine can leave people feeling isolated, depressed, or bored out of their minds–which is especially problematic when it is their birthday. In the months we have been under a stay-at-home order, people have been forced to drastically change how they usually celebrate their birthdays. So, in order to figure out the best ways to celebrate during quarantine, while sticking to the safety guidelines, The Mirador did some digging into what fellow students are doing on their special day. 

1. Car Parade

A car parade is the perfect way to see your friends and family on your special day, even if it is brief. As a disclaimer–with all the noise, it can be embarrassing in front of your neighbors–but that is all part of the fun! It’s even better when it’s a surprise, like it was for senior Annika Thomas. Her fellow classmate and best friend, Lucy Becker, planned the whole thing: “Around twenty of my friends drove past my house in a parade, yelling, honking, and holding posters! It was really funny,” Thomas said.

1. Takeout

Although it is prohibited to eat IN a restaurant, you can  still enjoy your loved meals by getting food to-go. Takeout is the best of both worlds because you get to eat your favorite food, all while staying safe at home. Senior Abigail Crinks shares her birthday with Cinco de Mayo, so her family surprised her with some takeout Mexican food from Cactus. Some other Lamorinda favorite food spots offering curbside service during shelter-in-place are Siam Orchid, Mucho Wraps, Roam Artisan Burgers, and Pizza Antica.

1. Social Distance Meet-Up

Bring out the masks and gloves, and get ready to stay 6-feet apart! Getting to see your friends during your birthday is always fun, especially if you haven’t seen them in a while. However it is important to protect yourself and others, so be sure to take the necessary precautions. Have each individual park their car in a circle, and then simply chill in the back of their trunks. Or, if you want to mix things up, grab some lawn chairs and sit six feet apart. 

1. Zoom Calls

If you are unable to leave the house, there are other options to stay connected. Whether it’s family or friends, Zoom or other group video call options is a great way to speak with loved ones on your birthday. A perfect time to do this is when you bring out the  birthday cake! Therefore, everyone has the opportunity to sing “Happy Birthday” together no matter where they are.

1. Social Distance Hike

Don’t knock this one yet. Exercising is probably one of the last things you want to do on your birthday, but getting out of the house and into nature has many benefits. Senior Kenya Bertoli decided to go for a run on her birthday.  “It was so nice to get outside and be surrounded by beautiful trees,” Bertoli said. Plus, if you get moving, you won’t feel so bad eating that fifth helping of dessert!