Roommate Seeking: Tips from Seniors

Graphic%3A+Canva
Emma Wong
Graphic: Canva

College application season is over. Decisions are in. Senior classes buzz with chatter about senior week, graduation, and summer trips. And yet, the air remains thick with stress. After all, with all the excitement and optimism about the big things ahead comes tension and concern about big changes and serious decisions, like how to approach acquiring housing and roommates. With this newest challenge in mind, the following are some helpful tips to use as you navigate the process!

1. If you have a roommate questionnaire, be as thorough and authentic as possible. The questions and length vary widely by college, but it is imperative to fill out all fields truthfully and give as much detail as you can for all short answer questions. When asked about your living habits and personality, do not try to come up with a calculated answer. It may feel like a good idea to write the answer you think will give you the best outcome, but this is generally not advisable, as you will likely end up struggling to match your routine to your roommate’s. I know you’ve heard this a million times from the people you finally thought you’d get some independence from, but honesty truly is the best policy. This is the best way to ensure that you are paired with someone whose routine is suitable to your own. “Look for a roommate with a similar personality,” senior Sana Anand said. “Especially in regards to sleep schedules and going out: aligning these is important when you’re living with someone because there’s a lot of extremes when you get to college.”
  2. When talking to potential roommates, whether at an admitted students’ day or over social media, go beyond living and sleeping habits. There are probably other things that are important to you when it comes to a person you’ll be seeing a LOT of. Consider asking about habits, majors and concentrations, personal boundaries, core beliefs, religious practices, social settings, music taste, noise tolerance, key personality traits, attitudes toward sharing, and passions — serious and recreational. “I asked a lot of questions about hobbies to see if we had anything in common,” senior Cassidy Gustine said. “Eventually, I got a bit more specific with my questions such as how we should decorate the dorm, what the grocery situation would be, and if they had any preferences on what dorm they wanted to stay in, and what major they were studying.” It may be in your interest to write down a list of questions that matter to you before opening up a conversation with a possible roommate.
  3. Be cautious about rooming with a friend. Really, think twice about this one. It might seem like the most convenient option right now, but it can impede your ability to make new connections. “I really wanted to meet new people in college and branch out from the people I’ve been hanging out with for the past four years. I love my friends, and I definitely want to spend time with them in college,” senior Nicole Hui said, “but I think rooming with them would’ve prevented me from exploring new and different things.” Plus, tension caused by living together could harm a friendship that was likely very important to you. It’s a big risk!

After you have solidified your roommate choice, make sure all your boundaries are clear. It’s important to be up-front now, and send each other a list of your pet peeves, important items on your routines, and rules. These can range from rules about sharing (e.g, what items are off-limits) and noise levels to attitudes about guests and significant others entering the dorm space.

While this list is very comprehensive, it’s important not to feel excessive stress about the housing situation. College is about new experiences, and not all of them will be ideal. Regardless of whether your dorm experience is optimal or subpar, it will certainly be one that you learn from. There is no perfect way to plan for your future — there will always be ups and downs. Opening yourself up to all of them will always be more important than trying to avoid them. “Ultimately, I looked for someone who would spend time with me outside of our dorm because, even if we aren’t the best of friends, I want a roommate who will be my buddy while I explore new things,” Gustine said.